Pollyanna With an Attitude

by compound complex 12 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Friends,

I have just finished reading The Wanderer's post on suicide. The heart-rending stories and subsequent comfort offered is an overwhelming testament to our survival. There was something from virtually every post that I could relate to; the healing effect of all your words is of far greater emotional benefit than anything ever read in a WT publication. I would never have believed that this "time bomb" waiting to go off would ever achieve a manageable level of emotional stability and relative normalcy. That, of course, would be I. An eternal optimist, ever playing Pollyanna's Glad Game, I nevertheless sensed a major disconnect between my ideal and life's reality. Mental and emotional chaos, lashing out, paralyzing fear and subsequent depression, thoughts of and near attempts at suicide---my inescapable lot in life. Despite recent up's and down's (some evidenced in comments on JWD), "Pollyanna" has regained "her" good cheer and emotional equilibrium, due in large part to your help. But "Pollyanna" has an attitude; things will never be the same nor can they be. No more caving in to emotional blackmail (thanx Lady Lee), no more wild, unsubstantiated assertions (thanx jgnat), no more self-pity (thanx Mouthy). Freedom---in every conceivable sense of the word---such as I could never have imagined! Thank you, The Wanderer, for broaching that "taboo" subject. I wish I could thank you all personally for this most incredible educational tool---your own life's experience. Praise and gratitude also to our loving Father and his dear Son!

Love and peace and infinite blessings to all of you,

CoCo

• freedomloverr
    freedomloverr

Good for you CoCo!!

doesn't it feel great to stand up on your own two feet firmly planted in the ground and state your feelings loud and clear??!!

freedom is what it's all about. I'm so very happy for you.

love - freedomlover

• unique1
    unique1

I always thought Pollyanna needed a little attitude.

• unique1
    unique1

I always thought Pollyanna needed a little attitude.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Freedomlover and Unique1,

Thank you so much for your comments! Yes, Pollyanna needed a little attitude and now "he's" got it! And "freedom is what it's all about." Met up quite accidently (?) the other day with an ex-JW family who are happy and prosperous and still the loving folks they always were. Hadn't seen them in years. The little boy, now a grown man, is very articulate and serious-minded. He proceeded to tell me what hell he went through as a witness child. I offered him the encouragement received here on JWD and revealed my desire to become an exit-counselor for faith-shattered JW's. Afterwards, he counseled me to go for it, to speak loudly and clearly my "truth". Out of the mouth of babes!

The very best to YOU,

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Friends,

Getting back to Pollyanna, do you recall from the Disney movie, why her poor but happy missionary father began the "Glad Game"? And the number of glad or happy texts in the Bible? Kindly comment.

Yours truly,

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Readers,

The Glad Game helped Pollyanna forget her gloom about not having a doll. Her poor missionary father could not afford to buy her one. He requested one of the missionary people, but when the missionary barrels arrived, they found a pair of crutches but no doll. After her initial disappointment, Pollyanna found a reason to be glad: they didn't have to use the crutches!

There are 826 glad or happy texts in the bible, eg., "rejoice in the Lord", "be glad you people", etc.

Yours truly,

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

For Changeling and her "Happiness" thread - I'm all for it!

Love and Affection,

CoCo

• Fleur
    Fleur

I'm not sure what thread you meant in your first post, Coco, could you post a link please?

I lived in the dark shadows for years- and as another who has finally emerged, at least most of the way, into the light, I hold up my little candle and salute you.

Pollyanna with attitude- I love it. Don't ever lose that.

(((((((((((((((Coco)))))))))))))))))

hugs,

essie

• Gopher
    Gopher
    No more caving in to emotional blackmail (thanx Lady Lee), no more wild, unsubstantiated assertions (thanx jgnat), no more self-pity (thanx Mouthy).

Some of the best thoughts come from our Canadian sisters. None of them would qualify as teachers in Jehovah's WItnesses. Their insights would be wasted there, but are appreciated here.

Life is that mixture of optimism and realism. Our friends (like the 3 mentioned above) can help us keep it real.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit