Journalistic Integrity - What's that?

by 30girl 5 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• 30girl
    30girl

I remember touring Bethel when I was younger and when we breezed through the printing dept. I remember a brief speech given on how well written and well researched their articles were. A comment was thrown out on how even higher educated people appreciated their style, their excellence. Uh huh, right.

So, I'm writing a paper and while doing some research for it I was cross referencing the Watchtower CD, looky what I found...

Witlesses, they’re all about the misapplication of everything or the twisting or the half-truths or, if we say so then it must be TRUTH. I love this:
    Witlesses have this Professor quoted on their website, in numerous Watchtowers, Awakes and various other publications, etc., um, But they fail to mention the entire title (as it would be rather condemnatory,scroll down and tell me what you think?) I listed numerous quotes so you get the picture...

*** jv chap. 11 p. 158 How We Came to Be Known as Jehovah’s Witnesses ***

“Jehovah’s Witnesses have literally covered the earth with their witnessing.”—These Also Believe.

*** w04 4/15 p. 6 When God’s Will Is Done on Earth ***
    You have likely seen it in your own neighborhood. In his book These Also Believe, Professor Charles S. Braden writes: “Jehovah’s Witnesses have literally covered the earth with their witnessing. . . . No single religious group in the world displayed more zeal and persistence in the attempt to spread the good news of the Kingdom than the Jehovah’s Witnesses.”

*** w01 2/15 p. 27 par. 17 Jehovah’s Restored People Praise Him Earth Wide ***
    In his book These Also Believe, Professor Charles S. Braden said: “Jehovah’s Witnesses have literally covered the earth with their witnessing. It may truly be said that no single religious group in the world displayed more zeal and persistence in the attempt to spread the good news of the Kingdom than Jehovah’s Witnesses. This movement will very likely go on from strength to strength.”

*** w88 2/1 p. 18 par. 13 Will You Be a Witness for the True God? ***
    Who today bear testimony for God’s Kingdom? Professor C. S. Braden, a keen student of the world’s religions, said: “Jehovah’s Witnesses have literally covered the earth with their witnessing. . . . It may be truly said that no single religious group in the world displayed more zeal and persistence in the attempt to spread the good news of the Kingdom than Jehovah’s Witnesses.”

*** w84 3/15 p. 17 par. 11 God’s United “Mighty Nation” to Fill the Earth ***
    C. S. Braden, a professor of religious history, wrote: “Jehovah’s Witnesses have literally covered the earth with their witnessing. . . . It may be truly said that no single

*** w81 3/1 p. 22 par. 21 Go! Make Disciples ***
    These Also Believe, history professor Charles Braden wrote: “Jehovah’s Witnesses have literally covered the earth with their witnessing. . . . It may be truly said that no single religious group in the world displayed more zeal and persistence in the attempt to spread the good news of the Kingdom than the Jehovah’s Witnesses.”

** g91 12/8 p. 22 The Bill of Rights—Why Was It Needed? ***
    Freedom of religion was of primary importance because these men came from lands where there were statutes against apostasy, heresy, papacy, and profaneness and even against failure to support the Church financially. The penalties for failure to observe these statutes could be torture, prison, or death. Hence, Thomas Jefferson and James Madison passionately pleaded for separation of Church and State. No more government favor to priestly hierarchies or persecution for those who disagreed!

*** g99 1/8 p. 9 Religious Freedom—Blessing or Curse? ***
    “They have . . . made a definite contribution to the preservation of some of the most precious things in our democracy.”—Professor C. S. Braden, These Also Believe.

*** g96 7/22 p. 5 The Historical Development of Freedom of Speech ***
    In his book These Also Believe, Professor C. S. Braden writes: “They [Jehovah’s Witnesses] have performed a signal service to democracy by their fight to preserve their civil rights, for in their struggle they have done much to secure those rights for every minority group in America. When the civil rights of any one group are invaded, the rights of no other group are safe. They have therefore made a definite contribution to the preservation of some of the most precious things in our democracy.”

OKAY – you get the picture, they love this guy, right?. The Actual title of his book is:

These Also Believe: A Study of Modern American Cults and Minority Religious Movements by Charles Samuel Braden

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

That wasn't the easiest thread to read, but I think I caught most of it.

I must say that, as a professional journalist and editor, a major factor in my decision to leave the Witnesses was coming to see the extent of their unethical journalism. I've posted on this site the professional journalist's code of ethics more than once, and the WTS consistently violates the code.

Maybe you could explain a little better the point you're making in the above quotes?

S4

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Ah, looks like you reformatted! Thanks!

S4

• 30girl
    30girl

S4, Sorry about my original post, I was on Firefox . It just continues to blow me. What hacks!

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Bump,

I am looking for this book right now, that's how i found this thread.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Meh. You can see how the Society would like to avoid mentioning that the book has the word "cult" in its title, but it also says "Minority Religious Movements", so the Watchtower can always claim that it's the second part that Braden applies to them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit