What's your favorite Thanksgiving food/recipe?

by Frannie Banannie 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Mine's a toss-up. I can't decide between Candied Sweet Potato Casserole and Stuffed BBQ Pork Loin.

Cornbread for Stuffing 1 cup yellow corn meal 1 cup self-rising flour 1 tsp. baking powder <I use Calumet> 1/2 tsp. salt 1/4 cup sugar <optional> 1/4 cup vegetable oil or shortening <Crisco> 1 egg 1 cup milk Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 8 in. sq. baking pan <I like to melt stick of margarine in mine>. Mix all dry ingredients in 2 qt mixing bowl. Add oil and egg, mixing well. Add milk and blend till smooth. Pour into greased baking pan and place in preheated oven for 20 to 25 mins. Slice and serve or use for stuffing. Cornbread Stuffing <If loin is long, double this recipe>

1 recipe fresh corn bread baked and crumbled
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 lb. boiled chicken giblets, diced (reserve broth)
    1/2 tsp. ea. of sage, parsley, basil

Mix ingredients in 2 qt. bowl, adding broth (salted to
    taste) as necessary to make stuffing a sloppy
    consistency (too moist is good)...

Stuffed BBQ Pork Loin

1 soft-frozen whole pork loin, cut lengthwise in
    pinwheel fashion to lay out flat.

Spread sloppy stuffing mix in thick layer over spread
    out sheet of pork loin. Re-roll loin and secure with
    toothpicks or string. Coat generously with your favorite BBQ
    sauce or "Shake-n-Bake BBQ" mix <use the whole box> and bake in "Brown-in-Bag"
    according to directions on "Brown-in-Bag" insert OR bbq on your grill in your favorite way. Slice and serve.
    MMMM-m-m-mmm Candied Sweet Potato Casserole with Crunchy Pecan Topping Ingredients:

• 2 pounds sweet potatoes (3 cups mashed)
    • 1/2 cup sugar
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 2 large eggs
    • 1/2 cup milk
    • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    • 4 tablespoons melted butter
    • Topping:
    • 1/2 cup brown sugar
    • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    • 4 tablespoons melted butter
    • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
    PREPARATION:

Scrub sweet potatoes and cut in half if large. Boil in their jackets until tender. Cool; slip the peels off and mash well. Stir in sugar and salt. Whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and 4 tablespoons melted butter. Stir into the mashed sweet potato mixture until smooth and well blended. Spoon the mixture into a lightly buttered 2-quart baking dish. Combine remaining ingredients; sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture. Bake at 350° for 35 to 45 minutes.
    Serves 6 to 8.

• codeblue
    codeblue

Hey ya'll listen up: Frannie is a great cook. She sent me the Chicken TNT recipe and it was a hit here and with others that I sent it too.

(((Frannie))) I wish I had some kewl recipes for T-day to share...but I don't...

Thanks for these recipes...can't wait to try them out!

Codeblue

• codeblue
    codeblue

bttt

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Other then the usual:

Dates and walnuts rolled in powdered sugar.

Slice open the dates, fill with either chopped nuts or half of a whole walnut, roll in powdered sugar and enjoy.

mmmmmmmmmyummmmmy

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Dates and walnuts rolled in powdered sugar.

(GASPS!!!) Shades of my childhood, Blackswan! My paternal g/mom used to make those for the holidays when I was a kid! I LOVE them!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Thanks for these recipes...can't wait to try them out!

((((((((Codeblue))))))))) You are such a sweetie patootie! I just "borrow" other people's recipes for the most part and embellish them to suit myself........however, the BBQ stuffed loin is my own.......Enjoy!

Frannie

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    (GASPS!!!) Shades of my childhood, Blackswan! My paternal g/mom used to make those for the holidays when I was a kid! I LOVE them!

Well, my mom raised me on them in the winters.

They're incredibly addictive.

Good for ya, you know? Fiber and protein and sugar, the 3 basic food groups, lol

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

South Australian delicacy the Pie Floater:

Take one large bowl of steaming hot pea & ham soup add one meat pie and a cup of unfrozen peas then tuck right in ...

would you like tomato sauce with that?

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

They're incredibly addictive.

Good for ya, you know? Fiber and protein and sugar, the 3 basic food groups, lol

Yes, they are, Blackswan! LOL!

South Australian delicacy the Pie Floater:

Unc, that looks and sounds absolutely delish! I love pea soup, too!

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

It's worse than it looks - heritage icon or not - that upside down pie is just wrong! lol

A National Trust Icon

I love pea & ham soup though. Ham bones were the cheapest when I was a kid so winter saw a big pot of pea & ham soup brewing on the stove Then in the mid 80's knuckle bones got really expensive for some reason.

Captain Thunderbolt's Homemade Pasties

Ingredients:

• 3 cups flour
    • 1 cup suet, ground fine
    • 1/4 cup lard
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 6-7 tablespoons cold water
    • 1 1/2 pounds diced or cubed beef/lamb/chicken or pork.
    • 5-6 medium-sized potatoes
    • 3 carrots
    • 1 turnip
    • 1 onion
    • Butter
    • Parsley

Construction:

• Blend lard into flour. Add suet, salt then cold water.
    • Roll dough out.
    • Add a handfull of chopped carrots, potatoes, turnips, parsley, onion and cubes of meat (or just some of last nights leftovers).
    • season with salt and pepper. .
    • Fold dough over, crimping the edges.
    • Slit the top, and place on a greased sheet.
    • Bake in a hot oven (400F degrees) for one hour, or until the crust is golden brown (if using a camp oven an awesome mouth watering arouma will fill the air just before they burn!

alt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit