Still Groggy: Double Agent's Blog #001 - "Pressure Building"

by StillGroggy 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• TheListener
    TheListener

Still Groggy,

Use the Bible to discuss the conscience matter.

First learn how and why the Bible supports the use of your conscience for yourself. Know it forward and backward before entering any discussion.

To accomplish the first step do some internet searches and start some threads here about it. There has been some fantastic discussions here on conscience and it's appropriate use as encouraged in the Bible. Apostle Paul wrote a boatload of stuff on conscience.

Second, lay the groundwork with your wife, that conscience matters are just that, the GB don't put those types (mostly) of hard and fast rules in print. Use that to your advantage. For example, karate, r- rated movies, rap music, some video games, etc etc. are conscience matters. The society says you can't be exemplary if doing some of those - meaning - you can't be m.s. or elder or pioneer and maybe just maybe depending on the anal retentiveness of your local body you can't read WT or handle mics. or work behind the counter. You are not marked or considered bad association - if the rules are followed.

Look up some WT articles on conscience and how we exercise it. Look up some more about not binding others up with our own personal conscience decisions.

Perhaps when you're ready tell your wife that you are uncomfortable with her forcing her conscience on you. Tell her that those with weak faith must have strong consciences and those with strong faith.... well you get the point.

ok maybe you shouldn't say that, but imho you'd be right. Others here will have a much more educated way of helping you.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Actually SG, your work in getting her to think just might be influencing that very matter, couldn't it?

Sometimes, those who are daring to think on their own use a sounding board, and play devil's advocate. She might be doing this unaware of it. I noticed you said she is a free thinker in 'everything else'. This I don't understand since Jw's are dictated to in every aspect of life, science, sex, marriage, love, hate, politics, law, work, on and on ad naseaum.

Maybe she is starting to question things on a sub level. Keep doing what you are doing, carefully. Eventually, she will most likely come to understand that you are not a dub at heart [no matter how hard you try to conceal it], and how you have laid the groundwork for that situation may be critical.

Slow and easy - few are willing to jump into the boiling water. Good luck.

Jeff

• south african beef
    south african beef

SG, I think you have got your head screwed on right - unfortunatley most JW's don't.

I can't believe how happy, free and alive I feel after leaving the cult after spending my whole life in it. When you are a member it is very difficult to reason, but gradually doubts build up. There may be hope for your wife eventually, but there seem to be hope for your own happiness on the horizon!

Hang on in there and do what you think is right - I'm certainly delighted that I am not part of that relgion anymore.

My thoughts are with you.

SAB

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Still Groggy,

I am in the same position. My wife now tells me she believes it's the truth, even after she earlier admitted some time ago that she doesn't believe it.

I've since discovered from reading here, that if you have a good marriage or a bad marriage, you will likely LOSE if you stand up for your principles.

The Watchtower organization is viewed by the wife as greater in principle and decision making than husbands are, so whatever you do, say or argue about will have NO difference on your wife.

It's rare the wife that actually does decide it's a load of crap and leaves it.

I'm not making any gains anymore. I've decided that although my principles remain, my wife is more precious to me than losing her over my fight against the Watchtower.

However, I have not contributed $'s for years, miss half the meetings, go out once a month (and never ring the door bell) and never study the literature.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Sirnose, its a fight against facecrime constantly:

"Facecrime (an indication that a person is guilty of thoughtcrime based on their facial expression)"

Exactly, which is why I doublethink all the time.

• StillGroggy
    StillGroggy

Im a hot water kind of guy. Im seeing this ending in a messy tragedy, but Im feeling pessimistic right now.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

SG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit