Ever met a CO's wife who was healthy and happy?

by Nellie 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Nellie
    Nellie

I just read another topic about COs and it got me thinking . . . almost every single CO's wife was sick and terribly unhappy. I remember listening to them complain about not having a home, not having children, the accomodations of the friends, etc. They were miserable! It was right about then that I saw a sister slip her an envelope of money!!! Boy was I shocked! In all my years, I never knew that went on. Boy was I naive!

• Cellist
    Cellist

Yes, I've known at least one that was happy, or at least was a good pretender. They were very near retirement at that time.

Cellist

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I've known a few that seemed to be, but it's a hell of a difficult life for the sister.

S4

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I would say of the 10 that I have known only 50% were healthy and happy. It was amazing how many were on special diets for health reasons and we all were informed what those requirements were. So 5/10 50%

• blondie
    blondie

When I was a pre-teen and a teenager years ago, the CO's wife was happy and encouraging. As time has gone by, the demands on the CO has increased. I don't think they see their husbands as much nor do I think they spend as much private time together. When they do see their husbands, the COs are tired and dragged out. I don't think they are told what they are in for any more than elders and elders wives have a clue. The last few COs I was around were older men who had homes and jobs for some time and were suddenly in the round robin of visiting a different congregation every week. Instead of the numskulls in one congregation, it was numskulls in 20. I think many CO's wives also reflected the stresses of leaving their houses, their close friends and family, their comfortable routines.

The life routine of any JW is designed to develop stressor illnesses and discontent.

Blondie

• yesidid
    yesidid

How would you feel if you had to wander all over the countryside, without home or family, having to eat whatever

food is put in front of you, then be sweet and charming to everyone even though you're tired, lonely and have PMS.

I think there would be times you would be miserable too.

• Highlander
    Highlander

I think to be a CO's wife is a tough routine to endure. The husband at least has responsibilities and asignments to take care of which may give him fulfillment and satisfaction

as he completes his tasks. The wife on the other hand, may have given up a good job, a nice house to care for or other hobbies an interests that she found satisfaction in.

Now she's just tagging along with her husband, attempting to play the part of a content and happy wife, while being miserable on the inside for giving up so much, and gaining so little.

• Quandary
    Quandary

I have known wives of COs who have had problems with depression and alcohol abuse. Of all the traveling overseers' wives that I have met and come to know, as many have stayed in my home while I was growing up, I can honestly say that I can think of only one who really enjoyed her role, she is in her 70s and she and her husband are still traveling. I just saw them a few weeks ago, she is still the "ball of fire" she has always been. She LOVES the ministry, especially working business territory. In my opinion, she does see her assignment as her "calling" I'd dare to say that women like her are few and far between!

Q

• free2beme
    free2beme

They were always so behind the scenes for most people in the congregation, that I hardly got to know any of them well enough to know.

• exwitless
    exwitless

Whoa Nellie! You're not, by chance, a former CO's wife, are you? Because when you asked that, I thought of a CO's wife who was named Nellie, who had a lot of major food allergies and so on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit