The Best Revenge

by CountryGuy 8 Replies latest jw friends

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

I've taken a part-time job working nights and weekends. I'm doing this to save up to start grad school next fall. My new job is in a new shopping center. Now there's nothing that gets people to come out of the woodwork (at least around here) more than new store or a new restaurant. Since the center has multiples of both, it's covered over pretty much all the time.

Of course, I've seen people that I haven't seen in years, including many JWs. Some ignore me. Some talk to me. For those that speak to me, the recurring theme is, of course, "We really miss you at the meetings." To which I have started replying, "You do? Really? Because I've been back in Arkansas for three years and I haven't heard from anyone. Well, I take that back, I gave my address and phone number to Brother "Elder" a couple of years ago, but I never heard anything." (It's soooo fun to watch them squirm at that point.) I usually just laugh and tell them that I'm doing very well.

I had one "sister" comment that if I'm still working retail then my college degree must not have come in very handy after all. I smiled, "Actually, my degree has served me very well. I have been able to support my family quite nicely. However, I am wanting to go back to get my masters degree and I feel that it would be easier to save for that by getting a part-time job, rather than asking my family to cut back on expenses."

Now at this point, she really pissed me off, but I didn't let her know that she got to me... And, looking back, she probably did it on purpose, but I don't care. She smiled and said, "I didn't know you had a family. In fact I had heard certain rumors."
    "Oh, yeah," I smiled back, "I had forgotten how gossiping was the Witnesses' favorite past-time. You'll forgive me if I can't recall the scripture that says it should be otherwise. Well, I will tell you that those certain rumors never came from me. But, I've known that they were out there for a long time. In fact, best I can tell, they've made the rounds on both the A and B side of the old circuit. I will tell you that I do have a family (I didn't define family). That up until last year, we were supporting two households, mine and my mother-in-law's. And, that I've never been happier in my life."
    "But, are you really happy?" she asked.
    "Of course! I have found out that happiness comes from a real relationship with God. Not a relationship with a publishing company. Just because I stopped going to the meetings, doesn't mean that I stopped loving God. You don't have to have a WT publication in your hand in order for Him to hear you. I was miserable thoughout my teenage years. Remember when I did this? (I showed her the scar on my wrist.) It wasn't an accident like we told everyone it was. I was sick of never being able to live up to the WTS', the elders', or the congregations' expectations. You can only hear that you're lacking, do what they tell you to to change and then fail repeatedly for so long. If I had kept going to the meetings, I would have been successful at my next attempt. Trust me when I tell you, I'VE NEVER BEEN HAPPIER IN ALL OF MY LIFE! It was very nice to chat with you, but I really need to get back to work. You're more than welcome to give me a call sometime, I'm listed in the phone book." (I'm not holding my breath.)

She looked as if I had picked her up and body slammed her into a slab of concrete. They really believe that once we leave the WT we're all walking around in a haze just searching for happiness, but never finding it. The best revenge truely is being happy.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

good for you! i hope you continue to be happy and good luck on your masters!

• LuckyNun
    LuckyNun

Agreed. I live by a similar motto: The best revenge is living well.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

You are so right CountryGuy, the best revenge is indeed having a happy life.

I know that my obvious happiness since I left the org really has the jw I work with baffled. I think sometimes she is on the verge of asking me, and I will be ready if she ever does.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Way to go Country Guy. I don't really know your story, but it sounds like not only are you on your OWN two feet, you're running forward.

:)

-K

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

I've had dubs tell me there is noway a former witness can truly be happy in the world. I was not going to try and convince him I was happy. It would be futile but I did tell him I am sure a lot happier out of the witness that I was as one. The look on his face was priceless.

• bubble
    bubble

I'm glad you took the smug look off her face. And more than that I'm glad you are truly happy.

Happiness is..... being free of the WBTS.

• calico
    calico

That was excellent!

• garybuss
    garybuss

I scared two elders on separate occasions so bad both had instant bladder release. Is it just that I'm so bad or is this a regional fear reaction typical of the prince class?

One told me he'd been hanging onto the truth a long time. I told him I could see where he was getting it all scratched up with his fingernails. I thought that was funny as hell.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit