Raising well rounded and balanced kids...what have you done right?

by My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW 21 Replies latest jw friends

• delilah
    delilah

Well, I'm not sure if I've done anything right, but the best thing we've ever done, was leave the borg.

Our kids are still being raised with morals, and values, but they are also allowed to do things, they wouldn't have been able to do as witnesses. They have good friends, and play sports, which keeps them busy, and they enjoy it. We allow them to be themselves, and express themselves, within reason. We get to know their friends, and their parents, they aren't allowed to just "hang around", they must have something to do, with their friends, be it skateboarding, or "jamming", or going to the movies. We keep them busy, and it means less time to get into trouble. However, it doesn't mean there won't be some kind of troubles along the way. Kids will be kids. So far, so good...got my fingers crossed...

Raising children is trial and error. We're trying to do better than our parents did, by letting them have a somewhat "normal"childhood.

They are making plans to further their education, when they finish high school, in order to have good jobs in which to support themselves.

We have more time to focus on the family, now, and that has been the best thing for us. We need to make time for family. As Witnesses, we spent far too much time, going to meetings, assemblies and preparing to go in service, than we did spending time with each other.

This is what is working for my family. Of course, every family is different.

• snarf
    snarf

Positive reinforcement! No matter how much trouble my daughter gets into, which really isn't that much, I ALWAYS remind her how smart, beautiful and loved she is...no matter what. I keep the lines of communication rolling...ALWAYS ! Never be too busy to sit and talk with your kids when they ask for a chat. I always tell her to tell me the truth, even if it hurts my feelings or shocks me, cause I was a kid too and I had the same experiences and questions, plus if she can't come to me with the smaller things, she definately won't come to me with the bigger issues.

The most important thing in my life when I was a struggleing single mom was to NEVER EVER EVER put a man before my child...EVER!! If a man wants to be a part of your life, he WILL take a backseat to your child, your child is always your first priority.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit