There is no such thing as Agnosticism. Agnostics do not exist!

by nicolaou 92 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Perhaps it was an Orwellian turn of mind that coined the word 'agnostic' in the first place! Our definitions of belief and non-belief were perfectly servicable before that mushy idea had been invented by Huxley in 1869.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Evolution works on sociology and communication as well as biology. Language should become richer, not simpler...

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Language should become richer, not simpler...

Tell that to all the thumb-worn teenagers messaging their girlfriends with; luv u, c u l8r

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

~groan~

Its a horrible travesty, isn't it? I refuse to follow the trend, prefering to spend an extra 5p on another TXT than succumb. Give me liberty or give me death!

LT, of the "TXT-Luddite" class

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Social evolution is a very dangerous concept (in that it 'seems' reasonable at first glance). It's based on a misunderstanding of "evolution" as "advancement." It's not. It's just change...some changes allow you to adapt better and some don't, most don't have any effect at all.

Language changes. Dialects within it appear and disappear. It's foolish, rigid and very Victorian to say that a dialect that works for its users is "baser" than formal English. The whole presumption is based on racist and classist attitudes about what is better/higher/more noble (gee, can you tell I'm TAing a linguistic anthropology class this semester??)

Anyway, back to the orignal question. Not only am I an agnostic...I'm a militant agnostic: I don't know, and *you* don't know either. Although that definition was originally meant as a joke, throughout my life, I've met so many people who *know beyond a shadow of a doubt* they're religion is right...and it's always diametrically opposed to everybody else I've met who *knows beyond a shadow of a doubt* that *they're* religion is right. They can't all be right. Might as well toss a coin to see which one, if any, *is*...and if a God like most of them believes in did exist, he's either cruel and uncaring or totally incompetent to allow most of the world to believe the wrong thing.

Oh, and don't bother to give me any of that crap about how if we're honestly searching we'll end up finding whatever you think is the truth...I've been honestly searching more than once in my life. I'd have been better off rolling dice.

Liz

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Nic

So, by the popular use of the word, I am an atheist but I don't choose to identify myself by the things I don't believe in, it just seems rather silly.

Aw...I don't think it's 'silly' at all. I agree with Ross, agnostic is a serviceable word. The same goes with other descriptive labels, if they are accurate, they usually give other's a little better idea of what ballpark your thoughts are in.

I say I'm agnostic, but, that only gets you close. It hardly explains the many shades of grey color that really exist in my mind. That's where discussion comes in to clear it up. Or muddy it in my case.

Rabbit

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Bumped in response to real one's topic.

• zensim
    zensim

I think, by the nature of most humans, labels tend to be limiting by definition.

What we have seen in this thread is that, in reality, labels are anything but limiting. There is such a vast array of definitions and interpretations of each word (and they are just a 'word') - atheist, theist and agnostic. At the end of the day it is not the word or label we choose to identify with - it is the intention and stance we take within that label.

Each word can and does encompass within it the ability to be open and embracing - or close minded and stubborn. The irony is, that in the very need to define each term, all that has been demonstrated is the indefinable essence of each word - as it shifts and grows to reflect not only current consciousness, but expanding consciousness.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I'm too lazy to make the same posts over again so I hope you'll all forgive me for bumping this up in response to the current slew of topics trying to define atheism.

Nic'

• JWoods
    JWoods
    I'm too lazy to make the same posts over again so I hope you'll all forgive me for bumping this up in response to the current slew of topics trying to define atheism.
    Nic'

I don't blame you. I am sick of this, too. Even though I count myself as a non-existent agnostic.

Dictionary definition is good enough for me - each person can pick theist, atheist, or agnostic for themselves as far as I am concerned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit