1st Christmas: Gift ideas for wife?

by Little Drummer Boy 16 Replies latest social family

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

My partner and I nealy always give 'events' as gifts rather than things, so that the house doesnt get cluttered up with lots of small things.

These dont have to be expensive, its more the thought and planning that goes into the event than the cost.

So we buy tickets to see something - a group, a singer, a comedian. If its local its usually not expensive at all.

My partner has arranged a day for me that involved going to a local farmers market in a cute town followed by going to the cinema to see a film I wanted to see (that he really didnt, but made the sacrifice of sitting through it with me!) followed by dinner in an affordable restaurant.

He has also arranged for me a day trip to London where he looked up some real nice places on the internet to visit, like a posh bar in a mega posh hotel where we had just one drink and ooggled all the rich people, a visit to the Temple church mentioned in the Da Vinci code, a look round Harrods and picnic lunch in the park opposite Buckingham Palace.

I have arranged for him a visit to Bristol where we looked at Clifton Suspension Bridge, followed by a look at the Camera Obscura (£2 entry), a look round Clifton village then pizza in a lovely looking pizza restaurant.

Good luck. If you plan a whole day, even if its looking at free things it still feels special because it takes some careful planning.

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

Now see, this is what I'm taling about. I couldn't have thought up even a tenth of all of those great ideas! Thanks so much everybody. For instance, I has completely forgotten about stockings and how much fun they are when there are little presents inside! I have a lot of fun planning to do.

..maybe something *naughty*?
    ...that has batteries? don't know if ya'll'd do that.
    (sorry if that was inappropriate)
    Maybe if she is a mom and is totally inundated with day to day work, chores etc, you could get her something TOTALLY frivilous. Like bath stuff, or some pricey perfume she has been eyeing but doesn't want to splurge on.
    How bout a gift certificate to a local day-spa?
    -K

You can't go wrong with the certificate to a day spa. Of course I'm hoping to get the first thing mentioned...

Ha, Ha! Um... gotta make sure some gifts aren't given when the youngin' is around.

I can see it now....(wifey unwrapping strangely shaped box)... Hey Dada, hey Momma, what's that?

Thanks everybody!

LDB

• jgnat
    jgnat

Does she like to shop? Then a gift certificate or a gift card.

How about a metronome? I've always wanted a good metronome.

alt

Sometimes the charm is in the presentation. My stepmom squealed when her small gift was presented to her in a giant can. You needed a can opener to get it open.

• abuttercup
    abuttercup

I luv xmas, absoultly my fav hol.

anything red, jeweled or romantic/puppies inc.

no not let anything said by org ever let x mas stop.

• blondie
    blondie

Hey, maybe I can leave some hints here for my hubbie.

Jewelry was a big item for our first Christmas. Does she like a certain stone? Why not get her a ring one year, then a necklace, then earrings.

Mostly, buy something for her she won't buy for herself. Have you every heard her say, "I'd like that, but...."

Does she read certain books, mysteries, history books, science fiction, self-help? Why not get her the latest one by her favorite author.

My suggestion too would be to get an ornament that has special meaning for you each year. I have friends that are Star War fans and every year...

Blondie

And you can never go wrong with chocolate.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Here is one more idea, but you may need to save for for next year....

On the internet there are last minute bargain trips that have not sold. We took one about 18 months ago to Puerto Rico.

4 days 5 nights in a 5 star hotel, facing the ocean, with air fare included. It was about 800.00 total for the two of us. It did not include food but we had the time of our lives. We purchased about 1 week in advance.

My husband surprised me with the trip.

r.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Check out Toys In Babe Land. They have a wonderful selection of toys, appreciated by one and all (adults). There's truly something for everyone, tastefully gift-wrapped, if you wish, or simply discretely tucked beneathe her pillow or in her jammy drawer Christmas Eve: http://www.babeland.com/home

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit