The New Kadampa Tradition - Can anyone tell me about this?

by parakeet 10 Replies latest jw friends

• parakeet
    parakeet

I have a question I hope those who are familiar with the practice of Buddhism can help me with. After several years of reading about Eastern religious philosophy, I've decided to go a step further and seek direct instruction in Buddhist meditation and practice.

I live too far away from a major city to regularly attend the many choices of meditation classes available there. The only classes within easy driving distance of my home are offered by the New Kadampa Tradition (NKT), a very recent creation (1991) of a Tibetan monk named Geshe Kelsang Gyatso. The NKT's roots are in Tibetan Buddhism, although they claim to be an independent group from other Tibetan Buddhist traditions.

My question is this: does anyone have information about this particular Buddhist sect? I've checked online and there appears to be some controversy about it. The monk who founded it is said to have an ongoing feud with the Dali Lama, even organizing demonstrations in England about some doctrinal change the Dali Lama made some years back. Some critics have accused the NKT of having cult-like qualities and laying too much stress on collecting contributions for construction of new temples in the U.S.

I've attended a few classes over the past month, and everyone seems very nice. There's been no pressure, love-bombing, or anything else suspicious. Thanks to my JW past, there's no danger of my being drawn in by this group if they're not what they say they are, but if that's the case, I'd rather not have the hassle.

So, to Ian and any others knowledgeable about Buddhism, can you tell me more about this?

• Kudra
    Kudra

Hi Parakeet-

I go to a NKT buddhist group here in Arizona. They are a good group- the new kadampa part refers to the fact that they seek enlightenment for the benefit of OTHERS rather than just themselves. Perhaps that's why they are agressive about fundraising for more temples.

I did not know about the controversy with the dalai lama. that is too sad, but I imagine it might be because they have decided not to bring any gurus or teachers from Tibet because they feel that people will blindly follow someone JUST BECAUSE they are Tibetan, rather than because they are teaching good things.

Kelsang Gyatso learned english to write all of his teaching in because he felt that now is the time for Buddhism to come to the western world and it is more beneficial for us to learn the actual words of the chants and prayers rather than to hear them in a foreign language we don't understand.

I am not a true blue believer, but I really enjoy these classes. I am thinking of looking into Zen Buddhism as I think it is more along the lines of what I actually believe.

-K

• parakeet
    parakeet

Thanks, Kudra. You've reinforced my initial impression of the NKT people as a pretty decent group. Like you, I think I'm more suited to Zen than Tibetan Buddhism, but in my area, NKT is the only game in town.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Why meet in a group for meditation? What is it you are hoping to find?

j

• parakeet
    parakeet

JT: "Why meet in a group for meditation? What is it you are hoping to find?"

Nearly everything I've read about Buddhist meditation says that it's very difficult to learn how to meditate on your own. A qualified instructor is said to be very helpful, because he/she can guide you and correct any mistakes.

What I'm hoping to find is the best way to meditate.

• poppers
    poppers

Check out Adyashanti's CD titled True Meditation. It is very good. He comes out of the zen tradition.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Thanks, poppers. I found the CD on Amazon and have put it on my wishlist.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Meditation is very simple and very dificult. A group bouys you along. The thing about group meditation, imo, is that it isn't you, it's the others mixed in. W a minimum of instruction, you can do it on your own.

S

• Kudra
    Kudra

When I've had the wherewithall to do it on my own it was ever so much more effective than doing it with a group.

Right now I am struggling a little bit, so I need a group.

-K

• parakeet
    parakeet

Satanus and Kudra: That's exactly my take on meditation. I'm new at it and need a group and guidance, but as soon as I feel competent on my own, I may drop the group. It'll depend on the group and how well we get along.

Regarding your earlier comment, Kudra, I believe the contention between the NKT founder and the dalai lama is that the dalai lama was said to have recently axed a bunch of Buddhist saints from holy status (much as the Catholic church did some years back). One of the saints was the NKT's patron saint, and the NKT people went nuts. This is the kind of issue I have absolutely no interest in and that gave me some qualms about NKT. As long as they keep their internal issues to themselves, I'll have no problem with them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit