Did any of you ever have "overzealous"parents?

by Ex-Jo Ho 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ex-Jo Ho
    Ex-Jo Ho

This may have been discussed before but did any of you have crazy strict parents...I mean did they have even more strict ideas than what the religion already had put restrictions on?

My stepfather had been a crazy drug/alcohol addict before dragging my family into the "truth"...then it seemed he became obsessed with the religion. Honestly...I don't know which was worse! He became strict about everything....no tv...no radio...no worldy books...a few toys....he even felt that most of the young people in the KH were bad association so forget about having friends. It was tough being an only child in that setting...all I was allowed to do was study....he felt that playing was a privelege so I wasn't allowed to play everyday. Anyone else go through that too? I'm sure I can't be the only one!

I would appreciate your experiences,

Josie

P.S. My mother had talked to the elders about this once....they basically excused it as him being "overzealous" which was actually admirable!

• Spectre
    Spectre

Let me guess...home schooling for you as well?

• Ex-Jo Ho
    Ex-Jo Ho

Ha ha...surprisingly...no! Are you kidding...if I didn't attend school then I couldn't "witness" on the playground and save all of my classmates! I think the most humiliating thing my stepfather did was write: DON'T FORGET TO PRAY...and...JEHOVAH IS ALWAYS WATCHING...on my lunch bag in permenant marker. It was awful! No I was forced into the religion at the age of 9 so I had already been in school...who knows if I'd been born into it...then it may have been home school for me!

Josie

• mouthy
    mouthy

How sad for you .What age did you leave home ?.You need an extra ((((((((HUG))))

• Sam87
    Sam87

no i personaly didnt have that but one of my good friends did have similar, she wasnt even allowed to go shopping with us boys because her parents were scared that we would go and try on exotic underware! we were only about 15-16 or so! lol!

Sam87

• Scully
    Scully

Surprisingly, my folks, although strict, tried to be reasonable about a lot of things. Almost all of the kids in our congregation went to the same schools, and when one of the Elders™ tried to insist that the only "correct" behaviour for JW kids regarding the national anthem was to sit down and be quiet when others were standing - and expected all the kids in the congregation to do what HE wanted, my folks set him straight and reminded him that he was not allowed to shove his conscience down our throats.

We were allowed to sing seasonal songs, just not "religious" ones. In music, we could learn to play the national anthem as part of the curriculum, but we didn't participate in performing it with the band. They actually wanted us to get an education beyond high school, until the Elders™ threatened to DF me over a six-week internship with the Red Cross put the skids to that.

They don't go to meetings when they go on vacation. They have never made a trip to Bethel... it just doesn't interest them.

I feel really bad for the kids whose parents decide that homeschooling their kids will protect them from The World™. I feel even worse for the kids whose parents decide to homeschool them and then drag them Door-to-Door™ to train them as Watchtower Society Book Peddlers Pioneers™.

• abuttercup
    abuttercup

yes oh my yes!

Since I did not like the girls in the kingdom hall I went without friends. I did manage to sneak a few in in highschool, It took me years to be socially acceptable...lol

• becca1
    becca1

Wow!Your parents sound even creepier than mine. I thought it wasn't possible. I'll PM you sometime and compare notes.

• Roski
    Roski

OP

Apart from the "having been an alcoholic" - that is the story of my life - and except that my mum was right there too.

• Roski
    Roski

Edit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit