bump in the night

by finnrot 14 Replies latest jw friends

• borgfree
    borgfree

Thanks again Seeker,

I do not intend to try to push my beliefs on anyone. Of course I believe they are right or I would not believe them. And, as you know Christianity requires that a believer try to teach others about the Christ, however there is a place and a time for everything and I do not consider this the place, at least, to 'preach'

I have enjoyed reading all of the posts that I actually have time to read, but it is not easy to see postings calling the One you love, worship and try to obey called every name imaginable and blamed for every wrong done on the earth. I understand that everyone should have the right to express their feelings and thoughts and so I have tried to avoid the things that offend me. I do however keep seeing postings that encourage believers to go away.

borgfree

"You can fool some of the people all of the time" especially if you are a member of the WT GB
  • hillary_step
    hillary_step

Finrot,

You note:

Don't be so damn sensitive people, I'm just expressing how I honestly feel. I'm not telling you to dry up and blow away if you're stupid enough to believe in ghosts and ferries.

Yes, perhaps it is just as well for you to remember that the 'damn sensitive' and 'stupid' people that you allude to are just telling you how they 'honestly feel' also.

This Board is, as you have realised, made up of many people who's only real connection is that they are/were once JW's. It only works properly when there is a mutual respect shown for other persons beliefs regardless of how much we may disagree with them. Tolerance and understanding of other belief systems, while not easy, shows much about the worth of our own character.

Best regards - HS

• peacepipe
    peacepipe

What would a world full of atheists be like? If there was no religion, no hope of an afterlife, no hope of anything bigger than ourselves then what would the world be like?

Just a question. I'm paticularly interested in the atheists' point of view. And I don't mean just. . ."there would be no war, but there would be peace, love, harmony". . .I mean what do you think a world of billions of people with trillions of opinions would be like morally without religion.

PeacePipe

Lift me up, I've had enough. . .Tom Petty
  • expatbrit
    expatbrit

Hi Finnrot:

Welcome to the board. It's an interesting place.

I personally don't give a toss about spirituality, but I noticed you quoted Terry Pratchett, and anyone who enjoys him is someone I can get along with. In fact, if God exists, he may be Terry Pratchett. The down side of course, is that I'll have to stop plagiarising his stuff.

Anyway, looking forward to reading your posts.

Expatbrit

• Introspection
    Introspection

Hi Finnrot,

It's like when I hear people say that their not religious but their very spiritual, to me that's a cop out, you're either in or your out. I guess they feel if they say they're spiritual that if there is a God they're hedging their bets and they'll get in heaven on a technicality.

Actually, when I hear people say that I tend to think what that really means is people will believe in whatever they want, rather than a traditional religious system - a sort of a la carte style. I don't think your conclusion necessarily follows though, because not all religions even maintains a belief in God, especially a personal God separate from oneself. It seems to me what most people mean by not believing in God anymore is really that they no longer believe in that particular idea of God, which is of course a very popular one. But the fact is, for some other people their idea behind the word is a very different one. If we're dealing with the actual idea behind those words then meaningful communication is possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit