Thinking like a Jehovah's Witness would think

by The wanderer 17 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

witnesses find it hard to plan for the future- this JW attitude will cause ex-JW's to neglect planning for retirement, investing in stocks or real estate, seeking out work with a retirement plan, etc.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

In harmony with Daystar's comments - take a walk in downtown Cassadaga. Find yourself, while losing yourself a little.

Jeff

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

• If you were an ex-witness how did you overcome
      "Witness" think?

I was forced into living in the "world" and had no choice but to adapt. I then realized that JWs didn't own any patent on morality.

• Do you still adhere to any of the standards that
      we were once taught as Witnesses?

Yeah, some of them. I don't steal, I don't lie (much, but in fairness, all Witnesses lie, even if they don't know it)... But it isn't because the Witnesses taught it. See above.

• How do you purge the mental brainwashing
      propaganda of "Witness" think?
      I knew I couldn't survive in the real world without doing so, and I wanted to. I was raised in the religion and once old enough to think on my own, quickly realized that everything they were teaching was just a bunch of ideas developed by a few men in power. Some of the ideology was based good morals, but like I stated, they by no means had that patent. The other ideas were cool sounding but based on nothing (paradise earth), and others were outright dangerous(blood doctrine, etc.).

My sister has the idea that it is only witnesses that don't curse, don't watch R rated movies, don't commit fornication with everyone they meet. (I try to explain that many just don't do those things around other JWs. *except for the fornication thing...which is pretty much the same as far as ratios go both inside the religion and outside from my observations.) Sure, they get caught and they get punished (unless they are pedophiles or they know a powerful elder)...but how is that taking a moral high road. Not doing stuff because you'll get punished (or not get rewarded) has nothing to do with morality. I mean, isn't that exactly what Satan was trying to prove to God with Job? (not that I buy the Job story, anyhow, but...) Job is only righteous because he has Gods blessing. Without the blessing, Job would reject God. They preach what "Satan" preaches.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Wanderer..STOP!..What ever it might be.What do you think about that particular subject?..Think about it..Deep down..What do you think about it?..Start asking yourself how you really feel,about any particular subject.....You will find yourself soon enough...OUTLAW

• muslima
    muslima

It is a comfort to know that I am not the only one who - dispite whatever religious name I put on myself - still thinks like a JW first - and then make a conscience effort to rethink it - like through my husband's eyes - or through any friends eyes - whatever background they may have -- rethink it again - analyze it with the other views -- in columns....and rows....:) ~~~ by the time I am done -- the need for the thought is long gone....heh

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

1. I overcame witness think by bible study, prayer, and meditation on all the things I had been taught. I had to re-examine everything and this took some time to do so.

2. I still keep biblical standards some of which I learned from the WT but most I learned from the bible itself

3. I truly broke free of my brain washed mind by doing two things: the first was praying to God and Christ to release the hold the organization had on me. The second was by filling my mind with other things to replace the propagand I had been indoctrinated with.

Number 3 has taken about 3 years so far and is still a work in progress. But the more I learn about God and the bible and the more I speak with others and listen to varying viewpoints on religion and other things, the more I am shaping my current views. And its funny I am actually forgetting a lot of the WT propaganda. Thats because the farther I move away from them - the less I think about them. Most times I don't think about the WT at all unless I come on the forum here. Hope this helps, Lilly

• stillin4now
    stillin4now

I've been trying to read the Bible with a new, open minded point of view to learn what the scriptures really mean. But, as I come to familiar verses that are always quoted in the WT literature I automatically think of the WT application of that verse. I have to really make an effort to look at things from a new perspective. It's gonna take a long time for my mind not to default to WT doctrine. But it's getting better and I am starting to look at things alot differently already. V.

• aniron
    aniron

It comes down to the old saying "You can leave the Watchtower, but the Watchtower never leaves you."

I've met ex-JW's who have been out anything up to 20+ years yet something said, will make them think of something JW.

Its the same for many things if you have been in them for a long while. Whether its the JW's , Catholic Church, the army etc , or even a certain job you retain parts of them when you leave.

Of course thinking like a JW can have its advantages. Especially when speaking to them you know what they are thinking and what they are going to say and do. You can then catch them out , really annoys them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit