90 Years Ago Today: C.T. Russell Passed Away

by betterdaze 9 Replies latest jw friends

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

Today is the 90th anniversary of Watchtower founder Charles Taze Russell's death: October 31, 1916.

If he were alive today, what would he think of the Watchtower Society, 2006?

Comments?

~Sue

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

sad day it bought an evil man to the fore -Judge Rutherford

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Died on halloween...somehow that seems appropo.

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

For the historical minded...Russell's travelling companion, Menta Sturgeon, describes the events of Russell's death in the December 1, 1916 Watch Tower:

http://www.mostholyfaith.com/bible/Reprints/Z1916DEC.asp#R6005

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

WHen I was at Bethel and discovered the writing's of A.H. Macmillian, I always wondered why he didn't step into the role that russel had left for him. It seemed apparent that russel wanted him to succeed him. Ironically it took coming to this board for me to realize Joseph's lust for power and the fact that he would not be denied.

Kinda makes you wonder, what path would the organization have taken if mcmillan had succeeded russel?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

To think that Russell believed he would never die, but taken directly to heaven. How many others have died over the last 90 years basing their lives on the fantasy that they would never taste death? How long can such fantasy remain relevant to JWs?

• kid-A
    kid-A

I've decided on my halloween costume for next year....C.T. Russell, dressed in a Roman Toga, holding a "1-way" train ticket !!! tee hee hee....

• badboy
    badboy

WOULD HE REGNOCISE THE WT?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Those Hallowe'en toga parties always end in tragedy.

• VM44
    VM44

Rutherford was loaned $1,000 so that he could start a law practice in Los Angeles.

But Russell died soon after and so back came Rutherford to Brooklyn!

If only Russell could have held on long enough so that Rutherford was completely out of the picture!

--VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit