SCARY(actually hilarious) JW Urban Legends (smurf content)

by *jeremiah* 41 Replies latest jw experiences

• vanillamocha
    vanillamocha

I was not allowed Smurfs because of the legend, nor trolls. Barbies were encouraging sex worship. Star Wars and Star Trek were encouraging us to accept demons on earth. Fantasy the same - demons were taking on physical form just like Noah's day so it would invite demons into our home. Of course, anything that contained lecithin was actually derived from blood (bread, chocolate, candy) so that could not be eaten. I can't remember the rest. Tons of stories about angels and witnessing - the two guys and more.

• Clam
    Clam

One of our local myths (or was it?) involved pioneers visting a house where the daughter was behaving similar to Linda Blair in the Exorcist. Desparate - the mother asked Jehovah's people to help out. One of the pioneers asked to search the house for items that may have attracted the diabolical entity. What did he find? A Christmas tree in the attic! Removing the pagan symbol needless to say had the demon choosing other victims, and the householders lived happily ever after.

It would make a crap film though wouldn't it?

• silversurfer1
    silversurfer1

Jeremiah - I remember this "smurf" story. I was living in Baltimore at the time, maybe in the mid to late 80's. The version I heard placed the Smurf in a KH. All the parents at the time reacted by making sure their kids were'nt watching the Smurf cartoons and would not by the smurf figures.

I've heard various "demon" stories all through my life as a JW. I think they get passed down and really distorted or imbellished over time to the point of really being ridiculous.

• enlightenedcynic
    enlightenedcynic

John Denver???......Shakira????...never heard them mentioned in that way, but I do remember folks talking about Earth, Wind and Fire attempting to do a levitation act during one of their concerts, failing, and then making an announcement that all jw's were to leave the arena immeadiately!!!

ec

• silversurfer1
    silversurfer1

BCZAR - I heard the same thing, but it was Earth Wind and Fire (not John Denver) at a concert in Fayetteville, N.C. back in the late 70's or early 80's.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Hellrider, you sound like the sort of person who would turn an old Beatles album backwards on the turntable to hear the satanic imprinted message hidden thereupon...

He he, no, but anyone who was 10 years old in 1983 would automatically be fascinated by KISS. Those scary masks, catching tunes, cool costumes, fireworks on stage...they rocked, man. I got to see them live around six years ago, but I think I had gotten to old, it wasn`t as fantastic as I had imagined 20 years ago. Well, well.

• XU
    XU

I heard something about the John Denver story. He did that because there was a married JW sister who was sending John some naughty pics of herself and she became somewhat of a stalker, and he was so disturbed by her behavior that he didn't want those freaks at his concert. It upset his upstanding morals too much. Imagine that!

• aniron
    aniron

Why was the thing about Smurfs so prevelant in USA?

My kids used to watch them on TV. Others in the congregation had the toys or at home cups with Smurfs on them.

It was only when I first came on this forum that I ever heard anything about "demonic" Smurfs. I nearly fell off my seat laughing. Thinking "typical Americans." I told a couple of JW friends about the Smurf getting up and walking out the KH. They too found it highly amusing. Not that they didn't have their own stories about things being "demonised" they were usually based on things bought second-hand or given by unbelievers to a JW.

We had the story of the sister calling on the man etc and seemingly being protected by two invisble men. One question asked here was "Why was she on field ministry on her own?" Also been told that story by Mormons and read it in a pamphlet from the Moonies. Its become one of those apocraphyl stories everyone uses.

All this stories have usually things in common. They happened to someone somewhere, but no one knows who or where, or it happened to a friend of a friend of a friend.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl
    A sister(working by herself for some reason), knocks on the door of a killer or rapist to offer the good news. She makes her presentation and talks for some time with the man, gives him some literature and leaves. As she is leaving, a patrol car passes by the house and recognizes the man as a suspect they have been looking for. The officers jump out and arrest the man on the spot. As they are on their way to the precinct, one officer asks the man why he didn't attack the woman who was talking to him.. The man's reply........? "How could I when she had those two large men standing there with here!"

I believe this actually made it into the literature. I do seem to remember reading it, complete with one of those old crappy drawings they used to use in the late 70s or so.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

My daughter was totally terroized by the Smurf thing. Her Grandma told her about it. We had to throw away all the Smurf toys that day. I thought it was BS at the time, but she was so freaked out I had to do it anyway. She was about 8 at the time so that was '83 or '84. I heard the John Denver story too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit