Going to Church Today

by Undecided 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Undecided
    Undecided

I am going to church today with my wife. I was putting on a tie and found my old tie-pin with the Hebrew YHWH on it that I had from my JW days. I thought about wearing it with my tie but just couldn't do it. First time in a church in over a year. I hope I don't get hit by the spirit and fall down on the floor and talk some strange speach, or something.

Ken P.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Ken,

The Holy Spirit only makes the Pentecostals fall on the floor, wiggle and shake, and talk in an ancient forms of Tibetan ... he does other better things with the rest of us. I found that Pentecostals and Assembly of God to be very moderate and nice with respect to tongues, and the like ... its mainly the Televangelists who spice up the wiggles and jiggles to get attention. What church are you attending? Baptists are normally very good, as well as Presbyterian and Methodists. Methodists tend to be very liberal and open. Actually, in some circles your YHWH pin would be a nice point of conversation, such as in the Orthodox or Catholic, but it other circles, would go unnoticed. Let us know how it went, and you impressions ... we wwant details, lots of details. - Jim Whitney

• carla
    carla

just don't wear a tie, nobody will care.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Actually, in some circles your YHWH pin would be a nice point of conversation

Pity you didnt wear the pin. Now this is a topic I am REALLY interested in.... Please let us know how it went.... I think the pin would have been EXCELLENT talking peice. The board moves so fast I cant keep up with you all. So keep bumping this topic for this olden (HUGS)

• Undecided
    Undecided

Just got back from the church, it's Wesleyan or something like that and they are lookin for a pastor. There was a baptist I think doing the preaching. I didn't feel right there. I can't seem to be able to view the bible or the account of Christ as being true anymore. I'm very skeptical about there being a God, or at least what he is like. I've got to do alot more thinking before I will be able to accept any form of religion or faith. There were no young people there, the youngest was in their middle 50s. It's a small church with about 25 members. They were all friendly and seemed like good people.

The pastor that I knew from the church I attended for a while is comming next week, so I may go one more time, I liked this guy and we were pretty good friends. They are going to have a dinner after the sermon next week so that might be interesting.

Nothing in the bible makes much sense to me anymore and there are too many contridictions and most of it has to be interpreted to make it apply to life in todays world.

I'm still looking.

Ken P.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Just got back from the church, it's Weslian or something like that and they are lookin for a pastor. There was a baptist I think doing the preaching. I didn't feel right there. I can't seem to be able to view the bible or the account of Christ as being true anymore. I'm very skeptical about there being a God, or at least what he is like. I've got to do alot more thinking before I will be able to accept any form of religion or faith. There were no young people there, the youngest was in their middle 50s. It's a small church with about 25 members. The were all friendly and seemed like good people.

The pastor that I knew from the church I attended for a while is comming next week, so I may go one more time, I liked this guy and we were pretty good friends. They are going to have a dinner after the sermon next week so that might be interesting.

Nothing in the bible makes much sense to me anymore and there are too many contridictions and most of it has to be interpreted to make it apply to life in todays world.

I'm still looking.

Ken P.I feel for you Ken...When I left the WT It took me ages to start going to churches .I have been to them all now....( Salvation Army, Baptist, Pentecostal,Lutheran, Bretheren, United, & a couple of cults Coonites, Unitiarian, ... I am so sorry you were not comfortable. I wasnt either. I am NOW.... I have a private relationship with GOD!!!!! I can listen or attend ANY CHURCH!!!! But only investigating their preaching. .If they say something or preach something I cant accept. Well that is up to them.... I still read the Bible I do believe we have a Creator. Who I talk to..... Have you tried Praying? Dont throw the Baby out with the bath water ....My 2 cents

• TheHypnoToad
    TheHypnoToad

Well, I can say for me its equally hard for me. I have found hypocrisy in all churches I have went to since leaving the witness' (I was raised as a JW). I have had difficulties with rules and regulations (southern Baptist no drinking, not that I even drink but if I do have a beer I don't want to think I am sinning). The current church I am going to is a "restoration church", which seems to very open. I don't like that they think tithing is mandatory, but JW's did just not with money they used a persons time and resources (minimum of 10 hours if you wanted to be considered just doing the minimum).

Hypno-Toad

• Honesty
    Honesty

Let me be the fisrt to invite you to attend church with me, Ken. It's a small church with a lot of friendly people. It is 2 hours west of Asheville near I-40.

• eddie c
    eddie c

The first time i went to a Church after i had left the Watchtower..i was so scared i almost did not go in. I did eventually find a good Independant Evangelical Church. I am still there after over twenty years. Its not perfect,what Church is. The challenge is to be able to get on with one another and to have love and patience with each other. The important thing for me is that i am in a relationship with God through Jesus,this comes first. I do feel for anyone who is looking for a Church. Sadly some of the stuff that is going on these days could put you off Church forever. Having experienced the heavy hand of the Watchtower i wont let anyone force me to do anything i am not comfortable with.

Hey Ken,dont give up.There are some lovely christians out there.

Eddie

• mouthy
    mouthy

i wont let anyone force me to do anything i am not comfortable with.

Hey Ken,dont give up.There are some lovely christians out there. AMEN!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit