How Clean is your House?

by morty 47 Replies latest jw friends

• morty
    morty
    My husband is definitely not a neat freak by any means, but I don't mind picking up the slack for him

Mine is not a neat freak at all as well and I don't like picking up after him...He has two arms and legs and I am not his slave.......I feel my boys learn by example...I want my boys to know that their wifes are not going to pick up after them all the time once they leave the nest....I understand once in while and helping out but, not expecting it all the time....( my "X" was like that and I swore it would not happen again....)

I grew up in a really clean house, so thats probably where I get it from.

I also grew up in a perfect house but, I think I weighed the other way....I mean, I like it clean but, lived in....not so clean that you feel you are in a museum and you cannot touch anything...

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear mama1119...

"I enjoy cleaning though"...

the weird thing is, I do too...BUT, I kid you not, I wash the windows and the chillins follow me with wet fingers, same with the walls...is it against some rule for little boys(with no aim) to sit on the toilet?!?!?!...how can a grown man spread GOOP on everything?!?!?

How did Wilma cope with Fred?

michelle(of the probably making a mountain out of a mole hill class)

• myelaine
    myelaine

he he he...

here's some irony for everyone involved in my morning rant...

my tee-shirt says...careful! I've had my bowl of bitchy for breakfast......what's that all about?

love michelle

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

My house is a very clean house:

Is that a body by the porch? Ours looks pretty good, but I learned a long time ago not to make my family miserable with " too impossible standards." People are more important than absolute cleanliness. This is my philosophy on housekeeping:

"Song for a Fifth Child"

Mother, oh mother, come shake out your cloth!
    Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
    Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
    Sew on a button and make up a bed.
    Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
    She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking!

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue
    (Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
    Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
    (Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
    The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
    And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
    But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
    Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?
    (Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

Oh, cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
    But children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
    So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust, go to sleep.
    I'm rocking my baby. Babies don't keep.

by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton
    (first appeared, Ladies Home Journal, October 1958)<........I was a fifth child born on October 15th, 1958. What a co-ink-a-dink!

• myelaine
    myelaine

so...I think I should go clean something...and stop eating the bread of idleness.

but I'll be back later...the Lord willing.

love michelle

• morty
    morty
    (first appeared, Ladies Home Journal, October 1958 )<........I was a fifth child born on October 15th, 1958. What a co-ink-a-dink!

Wow, that is a real co-ink-a-dink FHN...

I have a little sign hanging in my living room that was bought for me when I gave up being a "freak" about havig my house spotless..it goes like this,

Good Mothers have sticky floors,filthy ovens, and HAPPY KIDS!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

What house?

I don't have a spotless house. It doesn't help if your husband is a pack rat and thinks that there's value in every odd thing he finds. My oldest daughter and grandson moved back home, and it's been even messier. She loves clothes, but she doesn't care where she throws them. My grandson has gadzillions of toy cars and trucks. He has trucks and cars everywhere. My husband manages to run over them with his wheelchair (accidentally) some times, which helps to get rid of a few of them. My grandson says he going to be a heavy equipment operator, firemen, paramedic, bus driver, telephone repairman type person when he grows up.

I've, actually, thrown some of the trucks and cars away just for my daughter to bring home more! *sigh*

I just told the kids and my husband last night that the first time that I see any roaches or rats, I'm moving out! That's why I put the picture of the bad(bag, Oops) lady up. If I don't go back to work, I'm going to end up being a bag lady.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

With my husband I can't be a clean freak or I'd end up in the nut house!

I do like things clean, and go through the house each week and clean and dust from top to bottom. The windows are washed several times a year, wipe down the walls and door frames as needed, and oil the wood trim/baseboards about twice a year.

It's hard to keep up with hubby's clutter though. I clean a surface and he thinks it's now a good place to put something. He's always asking me where's this or where's that? I just go around and put all his junk in a box and he has to sort through it eventually. If his clothes aren't in the hamper, they don't get washed. He'll leave them on the floor and step over them. I've had to learn to leave them too (I can last about a week before it just gets too much for me!!!!! LOL). When he asks me in the morning before work if he has any clean clothes, I tell him everything in the hamper has been washed. Then he goes around and picks up all his clothes.

My mother always kept a spotless house. She says now she wishes she had spent more time with us as kids than spending it on the house and cleaning. We'd be shooed out the door every morning after breakfast, couldn't come back until lunch, then the same after until supper time. We were not allowed to spend time indoors unless there was a bilzzard! She didn't want the house to get messy. If there was any dirt on your clothes, they came off at the door before you could come in the house. (We were allowed to get as dirty as we wanted outside, but just don't bring it in the house, which is understandable.)

Being "dirty" is not healthy, but being too clean can be unhealthy. Using too many strong cleaning products is not good for you, and anti-bacterial products are not good either, unless you have immune system problems.

BB

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Being "dirty" is not healthy, but being too clean can be unhealthy. Using too many strong cleaning products is not good for you, and anti-bacterial products are not good either, unless you have immune system problems.

It can be a symptom of obsessive compulsive disorder as well. And often times grown up children of alcoholics can be obsessivley clean and organized. It helps them feel in control. They feel as long as things are in perfect order, they are okay. Not that every clean person is obsessive.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I'm what you call 'house proud'. I take a lot of pride in keeping my home clean neat and cheerful. I love to entertain and its important to me that my guests feel like they are visting a happy clean home.

I can't relax when my house is in a state of disarray!

Here's a little story for you. We used to have this one particularly obnoxious elder in our congregation. He was a slave driver to his wife. I have high standards but his were stupid. Particularly when he wasn't the one cleaning it.

This one time from the platform he was giving a local needs about cleanliness. Covering personal hygiene, dress and finally homes. He actually berated the congregation from the platform about not keeping their toilets clean enough. He said that they might look clean but under the rim some are revolting. He claimed that when visiting peoples homes he would wedge some toilet paper up underneath the rim and see how dirty it would come out!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit