Diabetic dog

by nsrn 7 Replies latest jw friends

• nsrn
    nsrn

My daughter's 7 year old Miniature Pinscher is a newly diagnosed diabetic. She and her husband (they are young newlyweds) were having a rough time trying to care for her, so the dog is now living with me while I try to get her regulated. Does anyone else here have an insulin dependant pet?

• Chameleon
    Chameleon

It's the first time I hear of this, actually.

• zeroday
    zeroday

I have a neighbor that has a diabetic cat. Has to take it in for blood tests and insulin on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong I love pets and I am also diabetic but I don't really know if it is to the pets benefit to spare the expense and effort for it.

• nsrn
    nsrn

Frankly, I'm not convinced it is in the dog's best interest, either. I have not committed to doing this indefinitely. Hopefully I can get her blood sugars down and get her a little healthier. She fights the injections so bad; you'd think I was killing her. Other than that 15 seconds twice a day, she seems pretty happy.

Apparently Miniature Pinschers are prone to diabetes. She was VERY obese (also a risk factor) and she started losing weight, drinking a LOT of water, and urinating huge volumes every few minutes. She even wet herself in her sleep. She is 7 years old.

A dog's normal blood glucose is 60-110 (like a human). Hers was 585 the first time it was checked. They take NPH insulin (just like some humans). Rather than running back and forth to the vet, I've been using a glucometer at home and phoning in the results and we adjust her dose. It's just really hard to balance diet/exercise/insulin.

If we do decide to put her down, at least we will know we tried. I just had my 18 year old cat put to sleep two weeks ago. It's a hard thing to do, but sometimes necessary.

• TopHat
    TopHat

I have a 12 year old diabetic Pom...He is blind as a result of the diabeties for two years. He takes his insulin injections quite well. I talk to him and tell him he is a good boy and afterwards he knows he gets a treat. Although he is blind, he finds his way around the house and thur the doggy door to go out to do his pee pee and doody. He knows where his dish of water is in the kitchen. Whe he is hungry he walks over to his eating spot and barks. If I didn't know better I would think he can see. He follows me and lays by my side in every room I happen to be in. Of course he can not go down or up the stairs and he avoids the stairs as he did fall down once when he was newly blind. I will pick him up and carry him if he barks and lets me know he wants to be with me down stairs or up. . I can't put him to sleep as he is JUST to smart and it would break my heart to put a perfectly "healthy otherwise" beloved and faithful dog down. I love that dog.

• Alpheta
    Alpheta

I had a 12 year old miniature schnauzer who got diabetes, he needed insulin 2x a day. I could not give him the shots, my hands shook too much. I was able, fortunately, to hire a tech through my vet clinic and she faithfully came over 2x a day - and arranged for coverage when she was on vacation - for the 13 additional months that Jocques lived after that. It's very difficult. In addition to the insulin, they need a special diet and it's very easy for the dog to go off of his or her food if you don't have it exactly right. I spent many hours cooking natural rice and ground beef drained 3 times with hot water to flush all the fat out. It's not easy taking care of a diabetic dog. I have heard that some younger dogs that get the disease can live for many years afterwards with careful regulation.

• nsrn
    nsrn

I just don't have time or inclination to cook special for this little doggie. We have 4 cats and another dog; I work full time AND take care of my disabled husband and my elderly parents, so I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible. Our plan is to allow 'free feeding' of dry food only, and go with her twice a day blood glucose checks to figure out her insulin needs. She doesn't mind the blood testing at all--at least the GOOD GIRL and a tidbit worked for that much.

Top Hat--she does have early cataracts. Isn't it amazing how animals adapt?

Alphabeta--I can fully understand needing help with the shots! I had to buy a muzzle. After putting that on, I wrap her in an afghan and practically lie on top of her on the couch to get the shot done. It's crazy, since she lets me check her sugar by pricking the edge of her upper lip!

As an aside--I am also worried about my 1 year old cat, who broke off a tooth that got infected. Had to have SURGERY last week for the abscess, and it opened up over the weekend, exposing bone. And now my 87 year old mother with the broken shoulders has vomiting and diarrhea!!!!!! I hate to be a wimp, but I'm getting a little overloaded here.

• TopHat
    TopHat

nsrm, I can see you are over-worked and in need of some help yourself. Is anyone in the family helping you just a bit? Like a sister or brother?

BTW I DO have to puta towel over my dogs head when I give him his insulin...This morning he didn't eat so I couldn't give him his insulin but he made up for not eating, this afternoon. So he got away with one insulin injection. That happens at least once a week. It doesn't seem to hurt him or make him sick.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit