No Need to Donate to Eastern Europe any more!!!!!!

by Gill 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gill
    Gill

It was announced last night, by letter from the London Bethel that there is no longer a need to donate to congregations in Eastern Europe as they are no longer poor!!!!

I was told this by my parents. They wanted to make the point that the bOrg is not a money grabbing organization and are no longer demanding money for eastern europe.

They failed to understand that the bOrg did not say 'Stop contributing' per se. Just no contributions to Eastern European congregations.

I assume this means that all the freebies that the Eastern European JWs used to receive which included free transport on buses to assemblies and free literature will also stop. Does anyone know how this works in the Eastern European countries now?

• greendawn
    greendawn

They certainly know how to demand money and other assets from their members and many dubs have donated even real estate to the WTS a now wealthy corporation that became rich by such donations and by having unpaid volunteers to produce and distribute its magazines and other publications.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

It sounds like a neat trick to me Gill. If contributions go down as a result, I'll bet the congs are reminded of their "obligation" to support the org before long. It's probably bs anyway, they need the funds to pay off all the law suits they'll probably be facing in the future, so the Eastern European jws will have to do without. I can't recall reading of that much of an improvement in living standards over there.

One thing for sure, if it is to pay for the law suits, it won't be in the km or magazines unless the org wins them.

• Gill
    Gill

I found this strange as as far as I was aware, the bOrg prefers its donations to go directly to the World Wide Work and preferably nothing else.

Could be that they are just not going to waste any more of their funds supporting the Eastern Europeans and now let them sink or float!

They'll be needing their money for fighting the law courts in the US. They may need it desperately if they've chosen to destroy their pedophile register and courts decide to kick their asses big time!

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

Skeptical as I am of reasons that are proffered by the WTS for organisational decisions, I tend to see this announcement as a large white flag:

Rather than announcing the economic health of Eastern European congregations to JWs in other lands [as someone else pointed out, this is practically irrelevant as most contributions are signaled for the 'worldwide' work, and not to any specific cause], this statement informs the governments and relevant authorities of those countries (sometimes a state-established religious body - such as the Georgian Orthodox Church; see http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/14/122416/2163472/post.ashx#2163472 ) that local JWs are not funded, directed or manipulated by foreign (and, therefore, suspect) entities in the West. This apparent withdrawal of financial support from abroad may open the door to legal establishment of JWs in those lands and, in turn, greater freedom of activity.

-V

• Warlock
    Warlock

Does that mean they are going to start the food service again?

Warlock

• Gill
    Gill

Valkyrie - Good point! Now it starts to make sense. I was already of the understanding that there were no specific funds in the WTBTS for contributing for anything in particular but knew that JW organizations in the east were heavily subsidised down to free transport etc. It will be interesting to see how long growth lasts in these countries when the rank and file JWs get to feel the cold jackboot of the WTBTS and the help yourself mentality. They appeared 'Christian' in their teachings in that they appeared charitable. The charitable rug has now been pulled from under their feet. I reckon a swift decline in JW numbers in the East commencing shortly!!

• uriah
    uriah

It makes sense. Most eastern European countries are now joined to or joining the EEC. They will just 'suggest' that the bretheren from these countries send their donation to Mill Hill.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit