Blood is Thicker than Water

by Clam 16 Replies latest jw friends

• becca1
    becca1

I agree with bubble. My children come before anyone, anytime over anything.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I used the expression blood is thicker than water once years ago and some smart-ass older sister said "holy spirit is thicker than blood".

Unless I am mistaken, the expression blood is thicker than water is not in the bible. Neither is HER expression holy spirit is thicker than blood. So, both are made-up expressions.

Sorry, but I tend to go with the first one.

LHG

• mama1119
    mama1119

I have to agree with blood is thicker than water, but I am very close to my family and would do anyhting for them. I think husbands/wives classify as blood since blood represents family, and they become your family. I have friends I care for alot as as well, almost like family, but I think my tendency would be to stick with family in a situation I had to choose.

• Carmel
    Carmel

that old adage flys in the face of several commandments such as "treat others as thou would be treated". It doesn't say, "prefer thy dysfunctional family over others". The more we are familiar with a person, or group the more we tend to favor them in our decision making. That, however, has drastic limits. It is seen in reporting when a plane crashes. How many Americans were killed, enjured....not, how many lives that were all valuable were lost. When we can value the lives of people regardless of nearness of relationship, culture, race, religion or none, then maybe we can get beyond sectarianism that leads ultimately to distrust, violence and hatred.

carmel

• AnonyMouse
    AnonyMouse

I always thought that meant that your family (blood) would hold you in higher regard (thicker) than life (water).

So when you say "blood thicker than water", I always thought it meant that your family should love you more than life itself.

But I'm a crazy american teenager, what do I know?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Kith and Kin,

Thicker than water is blood ( cliche' ): Your own family members are closer, favored and chosen over those outside the family. "John Warren Dubya prefers to have his children clean offices with him because 'blood is thicker than water.'" Actually, he's cheap and trusts no one.

Permission to quote directly from my book of idioms not permitted; the above is a suitable rendering, IMHO.

Yours truly,

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear K&K,

CoCo here, again.

Revision: Permission to quote directly from my book of idioms not GRANTED. I despise repetitive reiterations; they're redundant.

Profusely apologetic,

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit