What hobbies have you started/restarted since leaving the borg?

by exwitless 6 Replies latest jw friends

• exwitless
    exwitless

My husband and I lament over the things we gave up to become JWs. I was a Clarinetist (a good one, if I may say so myself) in the local citizen's band. I had to quit it because we played patriotic songs. I also passed up an invitation to audition for the Symphony Orchestra. My husband was in a rock band, hence the name "Little Drummer Boy", and of course gave it up. Well, even long before we DA'd, I took up voice lessons, something I've always wanted to do. I kept it secret from the borg, because I knew they wouldn't approve. I have really, really enjoyed it. I love singing classical Italian music. What are your hobbies or interests now that you're free to pursue them?

• Sam87
    Sam87

MUSIC! Ive always loved it but its become such a huge part of my life now, I listen to EDM (Electronic Dance Music) stuff like trance, house and some NRG, i also love DJing and mixing my songs together and making mixes, its the best, that would have to class as my hobby, although i was doing it while in the org.

Sam87.

• Dawn
    Dawn

• Dance - I started studying jazz dance, then took up hip-hop too. Last year I actually performed at a dance recital
    • White water kayaking - just took up this hobby and I love it!
    • College - I will graduate with my BS in computer science in March 07. This has taken most of my free time for the past few years, but is definately worth it!

I'm also planning to get scuba certified this next year, and am planning on taking guitar lessons once I'm done with school and have a little more time.

I am having so much fun - it's awesome.

• Sam87
    Sam87

its good to get out in the real world isnt it dawn! theres so many things that JWs put off because they think they can wait untill the new system, good to see your enjoying life!

Sam87.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Reading the Bible without blinders.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Music. Playing classic rock in a band. And I go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week. Even without being a JW their are not enough hours in a day. I cant imagine the burden of being a witness anymore.

• LanDi
    LanDi

Well, I haven't left as such , but now I'm in charge (apostate alert) and have finally stopped denying myself what I am.

Mark Twain " You will be more ashamed of what you did not do in fifty years than what you did do.". Another I love is (sorry I don't know off the top of my head who said this) is " I warn you if you allow to be any less than what you are capable of being, then you will be desperately unhappy for the rest of your life." AND ITS TRUE!!!!!!!!!

But the WTS don't want you top have a career, college/uni education, friends outside the truth, hobbies ( barely) any existence beyond them. They want you to sepnd 20 hours a week preaching to people and any missed chance to witness is a huge sin! They even tell you what you conversations should revolve around - "Jehovahs witnesses enjoy talking about the ministry". I tell you the truth, there was a time when I genuinely felt I should kill myself - become a JW or die. Gee, I'm sorry but how depressing is that - I don't mean to be blasphemous.

I suffered with ME (CFS) from 15, barely at college always off sick, couldn't hold work down to save my life (could move my legs for 3 days out of 5) and some days couldn't climb out of bed. After the 3rd time I had failed to hold a job(age 18) I was down but OK I knew my time would come (but doesn't it get harder under those circumstance?) but then some of the Witnesses were abusing me. One sister would stare , glare at me because I was out of work ( I started when a brother said his wife had been at work that day in the group and she looked over and glared at me - every day after when she saw me she would glare hatred at me) And so, when I got into art school I thought this is great I don't have to tell anyone what I do - because when they smile and say 'youre not doing anything are you?' I can just reply 'think what you will' without hanging my head in shame. I got excluded for so much time off sick - then the paranoia tore through me - they realy were my enemies, and the abuse I suffered from my JW family dragged the situation on. Inow suffer psychosis, and severe paranoia and split personality.

But, I can finally bee what I want to be in life. No one will take from me my destiny. I will be all I know I can be and hated by the JWs as an apostate. If I am to die, I will feel righteous in doing so. I know I am destined for great things in life, some thing the WTS denied me for too long.

Next year I will be all I can be if it kills me. Just as Bruce Lee says.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit