Panic Attacks

by AudeSapere 23 Replies latest jw friends

• parakeet
    parakeet

Terrible things, panic attacks. A 5mg dose of valium usually pulls me out of one.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

A co-worker says she's been having panic attacks lately and is quite concerned about them.

She needs to get a work-up by a physician to rule out mitral valve prolapse (or any other valve), check for any disease or disorder that mimics Panic Disorder like pheochromocytoma, hypoglycemia (or any other endocrine disorder). She just needs to see a doctor.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I used to have panic attacks sometimes when I was younger and involved in the JW religion. I was also extremely shy and introverted, which I am not now. The panic attacks seemed to be linked to agoraphobia, because when I felt self-conscious is when they would materialize. It happened when I gave talks on the Ministry school, when I commented, door-to-door, and having to speak in front of classmates in high school. I would breathe too shallow (the doctor told me that's what I was unconsciously doing) and my eyes would black out for a few seconds and I would get the shakes, it was sooooo embarrassing.

I read a book on Agoraphobia, and it gave me a lot of help. I concentrated on breathing deeply when I felt nervous, and saying quietly out loud or inside my head "Let it come" "Let it come" or "It's ok" "It's ok"--meaning let the panic attack come, and it seemed to calm my body and prevent a bad attack. I also noticed that anytime I had a fluctuation in my hormones--when I was going to start my monthly cycle, my nervousness would get worse around those times.

I haven't had an attack for years, but now and then I do still feel that nervous feeling in certain situations. I know some of it was related to how shy I used to be and self-conscious.

• Sam87
    Sam87

that sounds bad, maybe try something natural, ive found that can help me with stress and anxiety try ''rescue remedy'' i found that really worked.

Sam87.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit