Sheeple

by Butters 13 Replies latest jw friends

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

[raises his hand]

I also refuse to yield my willingness to think for myself to any consensus mindedness. I understand what you mean about being shunted outside the "game of life" for making the choice to think for yourself.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I'm not entirely certain, but I didn't get the feeling Butters was holding himself up above others here. I think he was referring to the "madding crowd" in his day-to-day life, to the people who adopt societal norms as a matter of course, who are likely the fittest of our species for that capacity to adapt.

In evolutionary terms he is actually saying he sucks at being a human, as everyone does who falls outside the norms. He is just expressing it in such a way that he can take pride in being odd. I can relate to that.

jgnat, I am a gregarious person, but I never feel like I fit in. I don't think that's because I am smarter than other people. I think it is because I don't think like other people. I am aberrant.

I have a feeling butters is still young. Whether or not he is young, lots of people (of every age) confuse knowledge with intelligence. I have no doubt that, in time, the pragmatic usefullness and value of people who think similarly will strike home with him.

When that happens, he will have dispelled his lingering notions that he is a better human specimen because of his odd way of thinking. He is an aberrant human specimen, so the odds are he's not actually a better human specimen. By far, most special aberrations are not positives in any respect for the species as a whole, and gregarian species are rarely impacted toward significant advantages by aberrant specimen. What oddity he brings to the human table might be refreshing for while, but the impacts to the species will probably be minimal from any given aberration over the greater span of time. Exceptions to this rule always exist, otherwise evolution would not occur.

His express desire is to have little impact on the species, by removing himself from environs where any impacts would be most likely. Presumably, his desire to move to Amsterdam has something to do with a desire to explore altered states through drug use without feeling any need to hide it. This will almost certainly limit his ability to impact the species, leaving the net value to the species of his life somewhat less than that of any plodding production worker who works his whole life for the basic necessities but who contributes modestly to society.

I am sure he is intelligent enough to pick up on the drift of this post and I hope he recognizes that the inherent likelihood of limited value from any aberrant specimen is a concept I apply equally to myself, as I struggle for a place to fit.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

AuldSoul:

I am impressed and titillated (only in the most innocent of ways!) by your delicate touch!

-V

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

A little intelligent reparte' cant hurt us folks....all of our thoughts are influenced by what we have come to accumulate in our brains. There is nothing new under the sun. It's hard to have an original thought without somebody suing you for intellectual property rights. Yep...I want to move to Norway. If it werent so damn cold, and the sun wasnt up half the year and down the other half.

"Gotcher nose Butters." :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit