Driving in Winter Conditions, what tires do you prefer?

by JH 9 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Here in Quebec, I'd say that about 80% of cars have "Winter tires" during the winter. I'm still an "all season tire" person. Maybe not as good at lower temperatures, and doesn't give an as good traction on ice and snow, but it's a compromise I choose to save money.

Here, in the Winter category of tires, we have Ice and Snow tires. Most people go for the Ice tires, because the snowplough does a good job removing snow, but not removing ice from the roads. Snow tires have deep grooves, but not that good for icy roads.

Which do you prefer?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I grew up in Cleveland for 28 years, I've been in Florida for 25, I dont miss the snow and ice.

• Satanus
    Satanus

I find the michekin xices good. Before i bought those, my research showed the hakkapaleta to be the best. But, i couldn't find any of those.

S

• Legolas
    Legolas

I have 'all season' from May till November and winter tires for the rest!

• solo
    solo

During our last winter visit to Alberta we hired a car and were stunned at the way it held the road and reacted to heavy braking in quite severe weather conditions. Oh and the roads were kept very clear desite the heavy and continual snow falls - the trans-canadian highway never stopped and the traffic didn't seem to slow down much either!

The roads were packed with snow, temperatures were well below freezing day and night and the snow just kept on comming. Despite the fact we could not hire a manual and the tyres looked nothing special we felt as though we were driving on tarmac!

In Britain the minute we get half an inch on snow the country grinds to a halt, most people don't know how to drive on snow and ice because they've never experienced it, it can be quite entertaining.

We were really impressed at the way Canadians deal with these conditions, I just wish we had more of it here!

• Butters
    Butters

These snowstorms down here in Florida are really bad lately, and the traffic in Jax requires a nice set of Michelins...

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Any tires would be better than the bald ones I have!!!!!

• Mary
    Mary
    JH said: Here, in the Winter category of tires, we have Ice and Snow tires. Most people go for the Ice tires, because the snowplough does a good job removing snow, but not removing ice from the roads. Snow tires have deep grooves, but not that good for icy roads. Which do you prefer?

Well JH, I'd prefer to get the ice tires, but thanks to the morons we've got running this province, we here in Southern Ontario are not allowed to have tires with studs on them, as it "ruins the roads" (like they're not already a disgusting mess.) We are the only province in Canada that has this stupid law. Gee, I guess all the other provincial roads in Canada must have miracle pavement where the studs don't damage the pavement. When you hit black ice, it's a nightmare. Snowtires don't do squat.

I'd just like to live somewhere where there is not snow and ice and crappy dull dark days.....the weather has been rainy and snowy and cold and crappy since the end of August around here.......

• juni
    juni

I use ROUND all weather tires ratman! lol

They haven't let you use studded snow tires for decades here in Wisconsin. They were tearing up the roads.

Boo Hoo Butters and all of the rest of you southern folk - Hopefully we'll have a white Christmas! Sunday we had 2.3" of snow which was a record. Last record was .7" in the 1800s.

Juni

• JH
    JH

Well JH, I'd prefer to get the ice tires, but thanks to the morons we've got running this province, we here in Southern Ontario are not allowed to have tires with studs on them, as it "ruins the roads"

Not all ice tires have studs on them. You have the choice of puting them on but they remain ice tires distinct from snow tiers.

Maybe each province has their name...

Here in Quebec, they say, pneu a glace (ice tire) or pneu a neige (snow tire) In either case, you can add studs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit