Are associations with worldly people a matter of concience?

by brunhilda40 4 Replies latest jw friends

• brunhilda40
    brunhilda40

I am really struggling right now with a JW friend of mine, she always told me that her association with me was a matter of consicence (I am a lesbian). Of course out of nowhere her husband forbids her to associate with me... I have posted before on this topic on the friends board. I really am trying to understand the complexities of JW. What issues really are a matter of consience? Thanx so much for your input.

• blondie
    blondie

JWs are strongly discouraged from having any social contact or making "friends" with non-JWs. JWs are even counseled that only other JWs can rightly be called "friends," and that all others are just "acquaintances." The fact that you are are "known lesbian" puts a real barrier there. She could study the Bible with you but only if she brings another person with her. If you didn't show any progress toward becoming a JW in 6 months to a year, she would be "encouraged" to stop the study and move on to someone more likely to convert.

Individual JWs pick and choose how rigidly to apply the "counsel" not to associate with non-JWs but have to be willing to accept the consequences, perhaps being unofficially shunned by other JWs and in this case, being suspected of being a lesbian themselves.

Trying to make a friend of a JW is very difficult. They are taught to be loyal to the Watchtower Society first and all else is second be it spouse, children, friends, parents.

Love, Blondie

• oppgirl63
    oppgirl63

Brunhilda40,

I'm also a lesbian and I have a roommate that is a JW. We've known each other for over 20 years. After her baptism, the JW's suggested that she find another place to live but she's not going anywhere. I take her to all her meetings because she has epilepsy and can't drive. I don't think they will push it very far because she can't live on her own right now and I'm her primary caregiver. My story is so long....I could write a book. You can PM me if you would like.

• StillGroggy
    StillGroggy

IMO, "conscience" does not exist in the JW religion. If you use your "conscience" on a matter such as this, you're just regarded as a weak JW.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

oppgirl63, JW's will never insist in your roommate's case that she stop associating with you. They will say that her circumstances are so bad that she should use the world (you) to her advantage, but in reality, they don't want to take care of her when you are willing- that way they can ignore her and do other things for the WTS.

Otherwise, these friendships or having "worldly roommates" are very strongly discouraged.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit