Moving to where the need is great

by Lady Lee 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

How many of you did this?

Many JWs sold their homes and moved across country to serve where the need was great. In the last couple of years I have remembered several people who moved from western Canada to Quebec where we were told the need was great out west. Some sacrificed their families, friends to go it alone. For some it meant moving to new countries where they would be the only JWs in the area. Many had to learn the language of the area to be able to preach to the people.

Shortly after I was married in 1970 our new kingdom hall was built and another new cong was formed for the french speaking people. Some french JWs came in to act as the body of elders. And a few people in our cong went to join them.

We got to live in our own place but at least we didn't give up our families. My husband did speak french but I didn't. My mother spoke only french until she was 16 years old but my father forbid her to teach it to us. When my grandmother and my 3 uncles and aunt came to live with my mother french they had a rather odd way of speaking in french until they couldn't remember the word they want and would switch to English until they didn't remember the next word. Sentences flowed back and forth across the languages as if it were one language. This is not a good way to learn to speak another language.

My uncles also made fun of us every time we tried to speak french so it became very difficult for me. In school the class had 3 years of french studies and I had none. Between the flowing back and forth between languages and my uncles mocking us at home and being 3 years behind in french class I didn't learn very much. And I developed a lot of anxiety about speaking french.

Yet here I was in a french speaking cong. trying to understand and express myself. It was a nightmare and I hated it.

The elders put me on the school immediately and within a couple of months I had to give a talk. This was not going to go very well and I knew it. There was no way I could even write never mind give it. My mother and husband helped me with the writing piece and I went over it time and again. Listening to my mother and grandmother had given me a pretty fair ability to pronounce the words and I did understand what I was saying so it wasn't all bad. And I got up there and gave my talk proud that I hadn't keeled over on the platform.

After the meeting one of the elder's wives came up to me and told me I was a liar. I could speak french but just chose not to. I tried to explain in french that reading it off a paper was one thing, speaking in a conversation was quite another. My guilt and shame responses kicked in and I felt bad for doing such a good job of reading the part

We were in the cong for almost 2 years. During that time I would listen to the talk and in my head translate it into English. It was hard work and I know I missed most of what they were saying. Before our first child was born I explained to my husband how hard it was to be in the french and with a new baby there was no way I could pay attention to the baby and the french. Happily he agreed we should move back to the English cong in the same hall (our old cong).

As much as I thought I hadn't learned much french it was quite a surprise that for the first while, would translate the talk into french and then back into English so I could understand. One day I realized what I was doing and was able to stop

• So how many of you moved to serve where the need was great?
    • How far did you go?
    • Did it mean learning a new language?
    • What was difficult about the move?
  • JH
    JH
    After the meeting one of the elder's wives came up to me and told me I was a liar

Gee, can you feel the love? You're trying your best to cope in a different language, and that's the way they encourage you.

I would never move where the need was supposed to be greater.

It was hard enough for me just to live in the congregation limits, although much better apartments were available in another territory. But back then, it wasn't well seen to move out of the congregation into another, since the end was so close.

• Moomin
    Moomin

That woman who called you a liar must have been such an imbecile. She obviously doesn't know the difference between reciting a script and talking freely. But then what jw does I guess.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    After the meeting one of the elder's wives came up to me and told me I was a liar. I could speak french but just chose not to. I tried to explain in french that reading it off a paper was one thing, speaking in a conversation was quite another. My guilt and shame responses kicked in and I felt bad for doing such a good job of reading the part

WOW what a cow. Only the dubs could make you feel guilty for working hard and doing a good job!

I knew a few people who moved to where the need was great, but mostly it was a veiled bid to escape a boring life and have a god sanctioned adventure.

My SIL and her husband used their annual leave to go to some remote place in Scotland to witness. They had to rent this cottage in the middle of nowhere and they came home a week early because it was so awful - no heating, cold water, cottage was filthy and riddled with bed bugs and stuff. Plus they thought it was demonised because they heard bangs and crashes in the night and there wasnt a living soul for miles. Hahahahahahh ahhahaha Not a complete barrel of laughs!

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

I took 2 years of French in school and all I learned to say was 'Adios'!

Outaservice

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

No..I watched alot of people sell everything and move to where the need was great,pre 1975..Most retired in poverty...OUTLAW

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Yep, many moved for right motives but the flipside of this was that it was easy to gain some perceived kudos by claiming to be moving to where the need was greater but was aptly referred to downunder as "Moving to where the GREED was greater".

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

yes...my parents sold everything moved from California to Kentucky in 1968. I was 7 years old.

lisa

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Clyde would always say, "So and so moved to where the greater are needed."

Bonnie

• moshe
    moshe

We moved 30 miles away to a very small cong. It was hard as my work was still at my old location and then when gas prices doubled in 1975 that caused a strain in my budget. Our marriage suffered from a lack of friends,too. All in all, it was not a positive thing to do.- fast forward 30 years later and you will see that KH still barely holding on. The growth went up for a few years after a new KH was built in 1976, but meeting attendance is lower now than it was when we moved in. It might have something to do with all the "no visits by JW's" tracts I distributed about 16 years ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit