Hells Kitchen USA

by chiddy 11 Replies latest jw friends

• chiddy
    chiddy

Is Hells kitchen with UK Michelin starred chef Gordon Ramsey popular int the USA ,its on here now (UK) what do you guys think of it?

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

We just had that here in Oz recently, on the Lifestyle Food channel. Ramsay's just a creep and a bully. I'd always assumed that he got away with his treatment of his staff because he must have a "the customer is king" attitude. But when he started abusing customers in the first episode, he pretty well lost me then and there. I just don't watch his stuff any more. I'd rather listen to Rick Stein whinging.

• zeroday
    zeroday
    Is Hells kitchen with UK Michelin starred chef Gordon Ramsey

Are you kidding, I love Gordon. "YOU LITTLE TWIT, get Back to your station". Unfortunatelly the show only runs in the summer off season months. I would love to see it in prime time.

• solo
    solo

He's different in the USA Hell's Kitchen. He is a bully on tv here but no where near as bad as on the USA version. I think he is trying to draw attention to himself over there - sort of Simon Cowell like.

I do find some of the things he says to people fairly amusing, but why anyone is prepared to put up with it I've no idea. One episode was on last nite, a female customer came to him to complain and he told her to take her breasts away from his service area! I nearly wet myself, although she went on to destroy all the dishes prepared for one table.

when it boils down to it he's an arrogant cook who has made a fortune on the back of swearing and abusing people - nice.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover
    One episode was on last nite, a female customer came to him to complain and he told her to take her breasts away from his service area! I nearly wet myself, although she went on to destroy all the dishes prepared for one table.

Sounds like the season we just had over here. Do you want to know who wins?

What I don't like about Ramsey is that he doesn't teach. I guess it's easier to yell, "Shut the f--- up, you fat, lazy cow!" than to show the person how to cook the food properly.

• Clam
    Clam

I'm really enjoying Hell's Kitchen but I do wonder how Americans must perceive us when we have ambassadors like Gordon Ramsay and Simon Cowell. The show is great entertainment though. I sort of assume that a great deal of trainee chefs must come in for flack from the chefs, ie Ramsay isn't that unusual.

Ramsay's F Word programme was good too. I liked a part where he was outside his restaurant trying to get a taxi and the London cabbies were either ignoring him or slowing down to give him abuse and then driving off. This was due to him having slated London taxi drivers on the TV some time earlier. Silly boy.

The bit I don't get about Hell's Kitchen is whether the restaurant customers can hear him. Surely not? He not only swears all the time but mostly it's at the top of his voice.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall if the Dubs called at his home when he was in a bad mood.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    I liked a part where he was outside his restaurant trying to get a taxi and the London cabbies were either ignoring him or slowing down to give him abuse and then driving off. This was due to him having slated London taxi drivers on the TV some time earlier. Silly boy.

That's his problem: he has no concept of sowing and reaping, or of the Golden Rule. I didn't watch the FWord from when he got the Christmas turkeys and named them after other celebrity chefs. But what really got to me was the second series when he got two pigs to raise for slaughter, and named them Trinny and Susannah. I was "Like, WTF!?" What did they do to earn Ramsay's wrath? Rivalry with other celebrity chefs can be understandable, but is he just sniping at anyone with a high profile these days?

• Simon
    Simon

he he he ... by all accounts, Ramsey is a culinary genius and it seems that ego is what runs a kitchen of that caliber.

I heard him interviewed on Radio 4 and he isn't as bad as he sounds. He was in tears on more than one occassion after getting rollockings by the chef he was working under.

I think that level of perfection and urgency must produce people like that.

BTW: I think the "Ramseys Kitchen Kightmares" is the best programme - where he goes in and troubleshoots failing restaurants / pubs etc... some are just unbelievable.

Like him or not, he does know what he's talking about which is ultimately what counts.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

BTW: I think the "Ramseys Kitchen Kightmares" is the best programme - where he goes in and troubleshoots failing restaurants / pubs etc... some are just unbelievable.

Kitchen Nightmares has always been his saving grace, IMO. When he goes into a restaurant as a trouble shooter, you can see why his staff are loyal to him, even though he comes across as a total prat in his other stuff. I've just been reading a few bits and pieces about him and he seems a lot more rounded than he appears to be on tv. I still think he needs to learn that "tough isn't rough". I discovered that Trinny and Susanah thought the pig thing was funny, so it's not as bad as I thought. And I've posted on other threads that the TV camera is the source of information that should be least trusted. It only points in one direction, and ignores what's happening in the other 359 degrees around it.

At the end of the day, the only simple thing you could say about Ramsay is that he's complex!

• restrangled
    restrangled

I love "Hell's Kitchen".....when you pay a minimum of $50.00 for a dinner it would be nice to know that someone is that tough behind the scenes....which we all know usually is not the case.

We just had dinner the other night at "Out Back" a famous chain, ...not a cheap restaurant. The bar was so lame it took 20 minutes to get my first drink, when we finally got our dinner and ordered a second drink they had run out of the alchohol I was drinking (a Margarita)...by time I received it I was almost through with dinner. The poor waiter was dripping sweat as he tried to explain the problems in the kitchen and the apparant inexperience of the 3 bar tenders.

The dinner was 52.00 plus an 11.00 tip. (My husband ordered iced tea) I would have loved to have someone as tough behind the scenes.

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit