Can a regular JW sue an Elder?

by beavis 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• beavis
    beavis

Has anyone heard of this "new light"? Supposedly it is acceptable to "take your brother to court" which would incur the possiblity of loss of privilieges of position. However, when one chooses to sue an elder, this would be a disfellowshipping offense BECAUSE the elders are considered to be the society's representatives and an act of a lawsuit against an elder would be considered an act against the society because of the elders being considered their representatives.

Has anyone heard of this decree?

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Legally, as just another citizen? Absolutely.

Within the org? Are you kidding? Uhm... even if one were NOT disfellowshipped, what do you think life in the congregation would be like?

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Who told you this, an elder?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I was up to date on what elders heard or were instructed up until early August.
    I never heard any new light on the subject. As far as my understanding of what
    you are saying, sueing an elder would be no different than sueing another
    publisher. You can do it, it is frowned on. Yes, sueing a brother could put
    your position in jeopardy (and his), but they would only encourage you to not
    sue a brother and never insist upon it. Insistence could lead to civil suits against
    the organization.

• beavis
    beavis

Supposedly a new decree has gone forth and plainly stated that a regular dub cannot sue an elder, however, it is acceptable for the society to sue other individuals for supposed copyright infringements. Also, marriage mates that are now seperated or divorced can sue one another with no threat of df-ing.

• juni
    juni

Sorry Beavis I don't have any information about what you're asking. We were always told to suck it up and not take a brother to court. It should be handled within the congregation.

And their way of handling it is this: To keep the peace within the cong. just let it go. Even if you were screwed out of money or property or whatever. Like idiots we followed this counsel.

Juni

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Oh yeah, the dubs are circling the wagons. I got into a HUGE argument w/ a friend's mom who is still an active die-hard brainless JW, when she said that it would be going against the bible if witnesses were to sue eachother and if they were to sue the organization in any fashion (i.e., anyone who holds a position) they would be considered DA'ing themselves from the org. I told her I wanted to see it in the Bible and not the JW version of the bible! This is the only way they are going to keep the RF from coming after them, if they instill it in their heads that they cannot sue anyone w/i the religion that holds a position of authority. They frighten it into a person.

My position is that if JWs were such the up standing people they claim to be this would be a non-issue. There was more JW rhetoric. Part of this that really gets me because when I was going to school I was told 1) additional schooling was bad 2) that I would lose my faith because I was going to a old Jesuit school (which was no longer a Jesuit school but why work with reason and logic when you are an insane JW) and 3) that my profession would not be needed in the "new system" so I was wasting my time and I needed to put my efforts forth in the kingdom ministry. Keep in mind I was a pioneer, served where the need was great and help out every way a second class citizen of a woman could w/i that religion.

• blondie
    blondie

JWs can sue each other regarding:

1. Divorce/separation/custody cases
    2. Traffic accidents
    3. Accidents on their property (even accidents on KH property)
    4. To probate wills

I have never heard of an elder being exempted.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit