Why was Olin Moyle Disfellowshipped?

by VM44 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• VM44
    VM44

Hi crazyblondeb,

"When I click on that link, I only get a blank page."

The file is about 65 Megabytes in size, so if you try to open it online in your browser you would only see a blank screen. I would recommend that you download the file and open it offline using Adobe Reader.

--VM44

• blondie
    blondie

Olin Moyle links:

http://www.geocities.com/paulblizard/olin.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olin_R._Moyle

http://www.docbob.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=21

You can email me at [email protected]. I will pass your email on to Jim to get back to you. (With your permission, of course.)

By the way, I have the full trial transcript of the Moyle case. And sometime back, I met Olin Moyle's grand-daughter and her husband. They were over at my house, and I also went to a Dawn Bible Student's convention with them, and attended thier Dawn Sunday Service. What a great experience that was. On one of those visits, AlanF was at my house when Moyle's grand-daughter was there. It was a treat to talk with them, and learn of the Dawn Bible Student perspective ... which will make for another good post.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/8064/1.ashx

http://lawcrawler.findlaw.com/scripts/lc.pl?entry=Olin+Moyle&sites=all

• VM44
    VM44

Here are the first and third references to Moyle in the Watchtower. --VM44

September 1, 1939, page 258

FOR YOUR INFORMATION

By reason of his unfaithfulness to the kingdom interests, and to those who serve the kingdom, O.R. Moyle is no linger iwth the Society. The full board of directors of the Society on August 8, by Resolution, unanimously demanded that the president sever Moyle's connection with the Society immediately. It was done. Brethren will address their legal difficulties: WATCHTOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY, Legal Desk, 117 Adams St., Brooklyn, N.Y.

December 15, 1939, page 382

LETTERS - IN FULL HARMONY

(The following is from the son of O.R. Moyle)

Dear Brother Rutherford:

On August 8, 1939, when the Bethel family was asked to express their disapproval of the letter of O.R. Moyle, I expressed my approval by remaining seated. After prayerful and Scriptural consideration of the matter I am now of the opinion that my action was wrong.

I wish to state that I am in full harmony with the Theocracy of Jehovah and I recognize the Society as the visible part. I desire to co-operate to the best of my ability and opportunity.

Yours in the Kingdom interests,

Peter O. Moyle.

• VM44
    VM44

To what purpose did Peter Moyle feel he needed to write that letter?

And why did Rutherford think that it needed to be published?

--VM44

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I have the original 1939 WT volume. Pages 316 and 317 have several paragraphs pertaining to Olin Moyle, and they are very scathing. Don't know how to scan, but if you would like, I can type them. Let me know if you need them.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

This has been an interesting story. Thanks for all the information.

Moyle was a good man, like Ray Franz.

purps

• VM44
    VM44

The second Watchtower reference to Moyle. --VM44

October 15, 1939, page 316-317

INFORMATION

Being reminded that this is the time when God is removing from his organization everything that can be shaken "that those things which cannot be shaken may remain" (Heb. 12:26:27), the members of the board of directors of the WATCHTOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY, for the information and protection of those who are devoted to God's organization, request that The Watchtower publish what follows:

On the 21st of July, 1939, a paper writing in the form of a letter, signed by O.R. Moyle, was left at the desk in the lobby of the Bethel home addressed to the president of the Society. Because that paper involved the entire family at Bethel, it was properly brought before the board and before the family. The letter, being filled with false, slanderous and libelous statements, was vigorously condemned by the board, and by all the members of the Bethel family. The board unanimously adopted the following Resolution, which was also approved by the family:

"At a joint meeting of the boards of directors of the Pennsylvania corporation adn the New York corporation of the WATCHTOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY held at the office of the Society at Brooklyn, N.Y., this 8th day of August, 1939, at which other members of the family were present, there was read to said boards and in the presence of O.R. Moyle a letter dated July 21, 1939, written by said Moyle and addressed to the president of the Society.

"For four years past the writer of that letter has been entrusted with the confidential matters of the Society. It now appears that the writer of that letter, without excuse, libels the family of God at Bethel, and identifies himself as on who speaks evil against the Lord's organization, and who is a murmurer and complainer, even as the Scriptures have foretold. (Jude 4-16; 1 Cor. 4:3; Rom. 14:4)

"The members of the board of directors hereby resent the unjust criticism appearing in that letter, disapprove of the writer and his actions, and recommend that the president of the Society immediately terminate the relationship of O.R. Moyle to the Society as legal counsel and as a member of the Bethel family."

Aside from the introductory paragraph announcing the writer's purpose to leave Bethel at a fixed time, every paragraph of that letter is false, filled with lies, and is a wicked slander and libel not only against the president but against the entire family, and for that reason the letter has not been published by the Society. He requested Consolation to publish his letter, and Moyle, being refused, now causes his libelous paper to be published and circulated among certain companies of the consecrated, causing the same to be publicly read, and then by his own words, which may be called 'fair speech', he pretends to be in harmony with the Society, and thus further deceives the unsuspecting ones. His only possible purpose in further publishing his letter is to justify himself and to 'cause division among the brethren', both of which are condemned by the Word of God (Luke 16:15; Rom. 16:17,18) For this reason the brethren should be warned. "The afore-mentioned letter" being filled with lies leveled against the brethren, the same is hated by Jehovah: "Six things doth the Lord hate; yea, seven are an abomination unto him: ... a false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren." - Prov. 6:16-19.

By inducing others to join with him in the circulation and publishing of his slanderous letter among the consecrated he makes others party to his wrong. The slanderous paper, being in opposition and against the interest of the Theocratic government, is pleasing to the Devil and his earthly agents.

For four years Moyle was entrusted with the confidential matters of the Society, and then, without excuse, he assaults and maligns those who trusted him. Judas was entrusted by Christ Jesus with confidential matters, and Judas proved his unfaithfulness by furnishing to the enemy that which they could use and did use against the Lord. He who maligns the brethren of the Lord maligns the Lord himself, and the end of such the Scriptures plainly oint out. Having been warned, each one must choose to join the "evil servant" and take the consequences (Matt. 24:48-51) or remain faithful to Jehovah and his government by Christ Jesus. Choose whom you will serve.

(signatures of the board of directors)

Approved for publication (signed) J. Rutherford, Pres.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    I have the original 1939 WT volume. Pages 316 and 317 have several paragraphs pertaining to Olin Moyle, and they are very scathing. Don't know how to scan, but if you would like, I can type them. Let me know if you need them.

Yes, please. -Aude.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Thanks for posting this VM44, this is fascinating.

As I read Moyles letter I had to remind myself this occured nearly 70 years ago! It 'sounds' more recent.

Moyle strikes me, if his letter is anything to go by, as one of the good hearted brothers that try and then leave the Org.

• VM44
    VM44

Let's consider one section of Moyle's letter.

Marriage

"Here again is shown unequal and discriminatory treatment. One brother left Bethel some time ago for the purpose of getting married, and, so I am informed, was refused the privilege of pioneering in New York, apparently as an official disapproval of his action in leaving Bethel. On the other hand when Bonnie Boyd got married she didn't have to leave Bethel. She was permitted to bring her husband into Bethel in spite of the printed rule providing that both marrying parties should have lived there for five years."

It is very interesting that one of the board of director's signatures is that of W.P. Heath, Jr. who just so happened to be the HUSBAND of Bonnie Boyd! Whose side do you think he would take?

--VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit