is synchronicity the same as coincidence?

by IP_SEC 13 Replies latest jw friends

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity

6.66 posts per day on friday the 13th? I dunno Im feeling silly but not antichrist like

What do you think about synchronicity? I gotta go to work but I expect many comments on this thread when I return You logisticians be nice

alt

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Synchronicities always include elements that "coincide" in unusual ways with other elements. I think anytime there is a odd confluence of events it will almost always be manifest a series of coincidences (from Latin co- "with, jointly" -incidere "occur, fall on, happen").

If I were going to put it into a logical construct I would say that all synchronicities are coincidences but not all coincidences are synchronicities, so they aren't the same thing.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Beardo
    Beardo
    What do you think about synchronicity?

I'm a believer - now there's a surprise LOL !

I've had a few experiences where 'things' have come together just as expected, accompanied by a heightened sense of awareness. I would say these are profound experiences and make me feel as though I am stepping out of our time frame for a moment and into another. Also, I tend to have an awareness of connectivity beyond myself within those moments and feel a sense of untiy with 'a whole'.

However, most of my experiences I would describe as coincidences, due to there being such a bewildering array of data swirling around us constantly, that we are bound to see two or more similar elements collide from time to time.

A very interesting subject. I think Colin Wilson investigates this phenomenon in his books, if I recall correctly.

• parakeet
    parakeet

***... 6.66 posts per day on friday the 13th? ***

It doesn't mean a thing, IP_SEC. However, drive very carefully today and take no unnecessary risks.

Now, excuse me for a moment while I throw a little salt over my left shoulder and knock on wood.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Heh Auld you really gotta stop being so respectful

Yes the data... all swirling around us. You know I reserve judgement on whether or not there is something else after this life until I actually die and find out (or not)

But the data! Where do you end and I begin? I know "I" dont end where my skull ends. There are EM fields and god knows what else swirling around us, produced by us. Can the mind somehow decode those fields? Is it synchronicity when you and your friend are thinking the same thing at the same time for no apparent reason? Or did your two brains subconsciously interpret the same subconscious data the same way producing the same thought? If I buy a yellow hummer and start seeing them all over the place, is it really because there are more yellow hummers on the road? Is it just the awesome pattern finding computer in our skull doing what it does best? Finding patterns?

I dont think it is possible to test it by scientific means but still interesting to me.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"is synchronicity the same as coincidence?"

w/o looking at the encyclopedia on "synchronicity", but just thinking of it's obvious etymology, I'd have to say that they sound closer to antonyms than... well, synonyms (pardon the pun).

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

You know SoN, I was just thinking the same thing!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

LOL!, are you also making the international sign for :self-righteous wanker: right now? :P~

• juni
    juni

IP-SEC your thinking is way too deep for me.

How about some mindless fluff?

Juni

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

If this aint fluff I dont know what is jun

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit