family alienation PE book

by econaut 10 Replies latest watchtower bible

• M.J.
    M.J.

Here's what the Knowledge book says:

klchap.2p.21par.22TheBookThatRevealstheKnowledgeofGod***

Well-meaning friends and relatives may oppose your study of the Bible, but Jesus said: "Everyone, then, that confesses union with me before men, I will also confess union with him before my Father who is in the heavens; but whoever disowns me before men, I will also disown him before my Father who is in the heavens." (Matthew 10:32, 33) Some may fear that you will become involved with a cult or will turn into a fanatic. In reality, however, you are merely striving to gain accurate knowledge of God and of his truth. (1 Timothy 2:3, 4) To help others understand this, be reasonable, not argumentative, when you speak to them about what you are learning. (Philippians 4:5) Remember that many are "won without a word" when they see evidence that Bible knowledge really benefits people.—1 Peter 3:1, 2.

klchap.17p.169par.20FindSecurityAmongGod’sPeople***

How grateful we can be that Jehovah makes loving spiritual provisions through his Word and organization! Draw close to God’s people. Do not hold back in fear of what friends or relatives may think of you for taking in the knowledge of God. Some may disapprove because you are associating with Jehovah’s Witnesses and attending meetings at the Kingdom Hall. But God will more than compensate for anything you sacrifice for the sake of his worship. (Malachi 3:10) Moreover, Jesus said: "No one has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for my sake and for the sake of the good news who will not get a hundredfold now in this period of time, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and fields, with persecutions, and in the coming system of things everlasting life." (Mark 10:29, 30) Yes, no matter what you have left behind or must endure, you can find delightful companionship and spiritual security among God’s people.

klchap.18p.177par.16MakeItYourAimtoServeGodForever***

It is not realistic to weigh the costs without considering the benefits of serving Jehovah. For instance, consider the matter of family opposition. Jesus promised that even if his disciples lost their relatives because of following him, they would gain a larger spiritual family. (Mark 10:29, 30) These fellow believers will show you brotherly love, help you to endure persecution, and support you on the road to life. (1 Peter 5:9) Especially can the congregation elders help you to cope with problems and to meet other challenges successfully. (James 5:14-16) As to losing favor in this world, you may well ask yourself, ‘What can possibly compare to having the approval of the Creator of the universe, causing him to rejoice over my chosen life course?’—Proverbs 27:11.

Here's what the book, What Does the Bible Really Teach? (2005) says:

bhchap.12p.120par.16LivinginaWayThatPleasesGod***

As discussed in Chapter 10, Satan uses various methods to try to turn people away from God. On the one hand, he attacks "like a roaring lion, seeking to devour someone." (1 Peter 5:8) Thus Satan’s influence may be seen when friends, relatives, or others oppose your efforts to study the Bible and apply what you learn.* (John 15:19, 20) On the other hand, Satan "keeps transforming himself into an angel of light." (2 Corinthians 11:14) The Devil can use subtle means to mislead you and lure you away from a godly way of life. He can also use discouragement, perhaps causing you to feel that you are not good enough to please God. (Proverbs 24:10) Whether Satan is acting like "a roaring lion" or posing as "an angel of light," his challenge remains the same: He says that when you are faced with trials or temptations, you will stop serving God. How can you answer his challenge and prove your integrity to God, as Job did?

*This does not mean that those who oppose you are personally controlled by Satan. But Satan is the god of this system of things, and the whole world is in his power. (2 Corinthians 4:4; 1 John 5:19) So we can expect that living a godly life will be an unpopular course, and some will oppose you.

bhchap.15p.153par.19WorshipThatGodApproves***

As a result of your decision to quit practicing false religion, some may choose to stop associating with you. By serving Jehovah with his people, however, you will gain far more than you could ever lose. Like Jesus’ early disciples who left other things to follow him, you will come to have many spiritual brothers and sisters. You will become part of a large worldwide family of millions of true Christians, who show you genuine love. And you will have the wonderful hope of everlasting life "in the coming system of things." (Mark 10:28-30) Perhaps in time, those who abandoned you because of your beliefs will look into what the Bible teaches and become worshipers of Jehovah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit