Lorenz Reibling, Knocking, and the WTS

by Jourles 12 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Jourles
    Jourles

First off, I'm just throwing this out there to see if anyone else would like to take a stab at where this might lead. Scandalous? Probably not, but interesting nonetheless.

If you take a look at the Knocking website, you will notice at the bottom of each page is a list of supporters. There are three listed:

1. Independent Television Service
    2. Corporation for Public Broadcasting
    3. Reibling Foundation

I hadn't noticed before(or read about) this Reibling Foundation. A few searches here and there turned up a couple of interesting finds. The first thing I noticed was that this particular Foundation could not be found anywhere on the web - absolutely no mention of it. Secondly, the only website that closely ties the Reibling Foundation with the WTS is here. A program entitled, "Confront: Resistance in Nazi Germany" was held at Boston College in April of 2002. Guess who attended this conference? James Pellechia of the WTS. The sponsor page of this website lists the WTS as an outside contributor and a Lorenz Reibling as an individual contributor. It also shows a Taurus Investment Holdings as a corporate contributor. Lorenz Reibling just happens to be the co-founder of Taurus Investment Holdings. TIH specializes in commercial real estate.

Like I said, this probably isn't anything. But I just thought it was odd that this Reibling Foundation was listed on the Knocking website but a search for this Foundation turned up nothing. I wonder if this Lorenz Reibling, and his brother, are jw's? If you look at their bio's on the TIH website, you could easily say that they could pass as jw's.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I wonder if they are involved in commercial real estate in NYC, perchance? In which case, even if not witnesses, the connection would be worthy of a raised eyebrow.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

A few months ago I sent an e mail to the Idaho dept. or public broadcasting. They replied with a small amount of information.

At that point Knocking had not been presented to them.

They were interested in the small amount of reasons I gave, that made me upset about the use of knocking on a public/taxfunded Public broadcast.

I am going to send another E Mail to them and see what their response is.

I think that now would be a good time for ALL of us to e mail their states Public Broadcast and in a

"Thoughtful intelligent acceptable" manner, let them know about the REAL wbts.

You know- pedophiles-destroyed marriages and families- etc.

Outoftheorg

corrected my own damn name.

• Bodhisattva1320
    Bodhisattva1320
    think that now would be a good time for ALL of us to e mail their states Public Broadcast and in a

"Thoughtful intelligent acceptable" manner, let them know about the REAL wbts.

You know- pedophiles-destroyed marriages and families- etc.

Outoftheorg

Awesome idea!!!

i cant believe they would even TRY this crap. leave the movie making to movie makers with educated opinions, not regurgitated BS, and go back to knocking on doors.

• bavman
    bavman

I just checked the list of movies for our (Milwaukee) international film festival and am happy to report that "Knocking" is not on the list here.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Well good on ya Bavman.

I had not thought of doing that. Idaho does have film festivals you know. Its not all potatoes out here.

I will find their email addy' and hit them up also.

When I started to inform the first person that answered, after a while they would send me up to higher people in charge and I got to do the old JW witness on 4 people.

When they started asking questions is when I knew they were listening and interested. I got 2 emails back from them, which made me even more sure that they were interested.

Outoftheorg

• sf
    sf

Something from 1987, googling "Lorenz Reibling":

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE6DD1F3BF935A15754C0A961948260

COMMERCIAL PROPERTY: Foreign Developers; Learning Just How the Game Is Played in the States

By MARK MCCAIN Published: July 26, 1987

EIGHT years ago, Brazil's largest development company, Gomes de Almeida, Fernandes, selected Manhattan for its first overseas outpost. Next month, the company will complete its first Manhattan building - a narrow, granite-and-glass tower at 590 Fifth Avenue, near 48th Street.

It is one of the smallest new office buildings in Manhattan, and it illustrates the caution that most foreign developers bring to the United States.

''Our strategic plan has been to learn how the Manhattan market works - slowly, without taking big risks,'' said Cid Keller, director of Manhattan Equities, the company's subsidiary in the United States. ''Everything about the way we do real estate in Brazil is completely different than here - the tax aspects, the construction, the ownership. Ninety-nine percent of our office buildings in Brazil are condos.''

Before beginning construction of the $30 million Fifth Avenue tower, Manhattan Equities restricted itself to buying existing office buildings, in partnership with other investors. Today, its Manhattan portfolio includes five buildings, each with less than 150,000 square feet of space. Within local real-estate circles, the company is considered a small, respected player.

''They're very honorable people,'' said Barry Gosin, an executive vice president of Newmark & Company Real Estate, a company that has leased space for Manhattan Equities. ''Once they were a few weeks late in paying a commission, and they gave me interest. In New York, that's so atypical it's ridiculous.''

Not surprisingly, foreign developers who most frequently do their own projects come from England and Canada, where language, culture, business style and financial markets mirror those of the United States. Japanese developers are emerging as a major force within the American real-estate market, but few have operated independently so far.

Within recent years, developers from other countries have established profitable niches in the United States, building office towers, hotels and a multitude of other projects. But casualties are high.

''I know of many more failures than successes,'' said Lorenz Reibling, who came from West Germany a decade ago to establish a development company in Florida. ''Very often, foreign entities are overwhelmed by the abundance of opportunity. And they underestimate the likelihood of failure.

''We are learning by trial and error,'' added Mr. Reibling, president of Taurus Investment Group, which buys and builds office buildings, warehouses and residential complexes. ''We develop a concept to the point of funding. Then we approach joint-venture partners in Germany, Switzerland and Italy who supply the equity and credit.''

FROM its first foray into Florida eight years ago to buy a hotel for $4 million, Taurus has advanced to such projects as a $27 million residential development in Boca Raton. ''We have remained in southern Florida because each local market has different rules and different players,'' said Mr. Reibling. ''There's a lot we still have to learn right here.''

Although Gomes de Almeida, Fernandes is a vastly larger company, it operates with similar geographical constraint within the United States.

Across Brazil, the company has built more than 330 commercial and residential projects since 1954, totaling more than 40 million square feet of space. But in Manhattan, it has not strayed north of 59th Street.

In the next few years, the company intends to expand those self-imposed boundaries only slightly. ''We have eight projects in the works in the New York area,'' said Mr. Keller, who arrived from Brazil eight months ago, when Gomes de Almeida, Fernandes more than doubled its staff in Manhattan to 18.

The biggest project being planned is the $636 million Hudson River Center, proposed for a 13-acre platform west of the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in Manhattan. Earlier this year, the city designated a team that includes Manhattan Equities and Julien J. Studley, a real-estate investor, as the site's developer.

(there is a second page)

sKally

• sf
  • Alpheta
    Alpheta

Hmmmm, I found this interesting:

"His early research on personality changes in heart transplant patients was conducted at University Hospital Munich Grosshadern."

One of my bible study teachers, Eva, was at the time I left the org in October, 2003, an old-timer with a brother at Patterson. If they are still alive, Eva would be about 83-84 now and David would be a few years older. Anyway, at least a few years before I left one Sunday afternoon during a lunch with several older "friends", I don't remember how the subject came up but Eva absolutely floored me when she asserted that it was proven that people who had had heart transplants afterwards exhibited changed personalities! My reaction was Eva, you're joking! That's like that old tale about the murderer's hand being sewn on to the pianist (or something like that) - didn't they make a Twilight Zone out of that - and the pianist becomes a murderer because he can't resist the evil impulses of the hand!!!!!

But she was absolutely serious and based her conviction upon something in Psalms about the heart being the seat of all man's motivation, or words to that effect. I countered that a heart is just muscle and tissue and works like a pumping machine, and it doesn't have a "personality" - but she and three other older people we were lunching with were convinced about this heart transplant changing personality story. They were so adamant, I figured it must have been a strongly embedded WTBTS teaching from before I'd joined the org.

Sooooo - this is, I'll admit, certainly off the wall and circumstantial - does Reibling's research mean he's a Witness? Or a sympathizer? If he's not a Witness, I'm wondering if at some point the WTBTS used his research to support its prior stand AGAINST organ transplants? And could this have led to contact between "headquarters" and the high mucky mucks and Reibling? I know the WTBTS did a doctrinal flip-flop on organ transplants at some point, but it was before my time as a bible study and then Witness, and it's not something I ever looked up for myself.

It's all rather curious, isn't it!

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Bump BTTT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit