Curing Hiccups can be a pain in the ass

by Elsewhere 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

http://feeds.reddit.com/info/acwhl/

Termination of Intractable Hiccups with Digital Rectal Massage

A 60-year-old man with acute pancreatitis developed persistent hiccups after insertion of a nasogastric tube. Removal of the latter did not terminate the hiccups which had also been treated with different drugs, and several manoeuvres were attempted, but with no success. Digital rectal massage was then performed resulting in abrupt cessation of the hiccups. Recurrence of the hiccups occurred several hours later, and again, they were terminated immediately with digital rectal massage. No other recurrences were observed. This is the second reported case associating cessation of intractable hiccups with digital rectal massage. We suggest that this manoeuvre should be considered in cases of intractable hiccups before proceeding with pharmacological agents.

• Dansk
    Dansk

I daresay my hiccups would be cured, too, if someone ventured near my backside!

Ian

• serendipity
    serendipity

I read this on another site yesterday, which had an additional paragraph regarding the effectiveness of orgasms as a hiccup cure. I'd prefer that over a rectal massage.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Every day we learn something strange, oh well if it works it works why not use it?

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

I still use the trick I was taught in my 6th grade science class: a teaspoon full of sugar washed down with a glass of water.

Works every time.

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

didn't this research win an ig-nobel award this year?

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

thought so...

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2006Oct05/0,4670,IgNobelsList,00.html

Other highlights include teen repellant, and a study into why woodpeckers don't get headaches.

• defective light
  • defective light
    defective light

Digital rectal massage was then performed resulting in abrupt cessation of the hiccups.

Hmmmm.....my ass gets tickled every time I read post's like this one...........

---might be defective

• seawolf
    seawolf
    Hmmmm.....my ass gets tickled every time I read post's like this one...........

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit