Can Non-JW Spouses Receive JW Funeral/Memorial Service?

by SusanHere 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

My JW sister's husband is dying of cancer. He's never been a JW, though he has pretended interest for years, mostly just to keep her happy and hopeful. I don't believe he ever intended more than that. He's also a lifelong smoker, and "unable" to give it up. He supposedly has tried. I can't speak for that, though.

When I spoke on the phone to her yesterday, she said her congregation will "probably" give her husband a memorial service when he dies. Is this false hope, or do they do that for non-JW spouses?

Susan

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

A brother might give a talk but I don't see it being held at the KH.

• noni1974
    noni1974

My great uncle died a little over a year ago.His wife is a JW he was not.They gave a talk at the funeral home and at the grave site.But this was at her request. I guess he had started studing a little before his death but he never was a JW.

• nelly136
    nelly136

my never was jw grandad got a jw service at the crem,

someone offered to do my dads at the crem (he was dfd)

• blondie
    blondie

I have seen a brother give a funeral talk for a non-JW spouse or adult child but never at the KH. BTW, each body of elders makes the call on this, not the WTS.

Blondie

• bythesea
    bythesea

I did attend the memorial service of a non-JW at a KH...the husband of this pioneer sister had always been supportive of his wife, allowing all their children to be raised in the faith, very hospitable to "the friends" and was generally a very nice guy although never studied or went to meetings other than Memorial every year with her. As was pointed out, it is the call, evidently, of each body of elders how far they will go with it.

• whoreallyknows
    whoreallyknows

Like most other people have already replied, there is no exact formula to know for sure if your sister's elders will have a memorial for him or not since ultimately it's her congregational elders' decision. I hope they decide to have a memorial whether it's at a Kingdom Hall or not. This is what happened in my family's case: I lost one of my older brother's when I was 17 and I had been baptized for only 4 months. The elders take into account many factors when deciding whether or not to hold a memorial at the Kingdom Hall. My brother was 26 and had committed suicide. He was a smoker, used drugs occassionally, was never baptized and didn't practice the Jehovah's Witness faith. What he did in his life doesn't matter to those who loved him but it matters to the elders since they consider the memorial as a time to witness to others about the hope of resurrection, not so much as remembering the individual. My parents were divorced, my mom sort of raised us a JW's but was inactive. My father stopped going to meetings years ago and lived his own life. Out of the 5 kids I was the only one baptized and one of my brothers was going to meetings but unbaptized. I don't mean to talk about my family, but I feel it's relevant since the elders took all of this information into consideration when deciding if they would have a memorial for him at a KH or not.

We as a family had at least 2 lengthy meetings with the elders to determine if they would have the memorial at the KH for him. We were shocked, considering we just lost a loved family member, that it was even a question whether or not to have his memorial at the KH. It was traumatic and painful. While we were trying to cope, we had to essentially defend my brother's life as a troubled but good person. The elders told us that the reason why having his memorial at a KH was even an issue was because if he practiced vile things it would bring reproach upon Jehovah. Ultimately, the elders allowed us to have the memorial at the KH since my brother had showed interest in studying the Bible shortly before he died. I hope that when your brother-in-law passes that the elders in her congregation are more loving than mine were. No one should have to attempt to cope with the loss of a loved one while at the same time trying to defend their lives and their right to have a memorial. My heart goes out to your family and especially your sister in this difficult time.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

It depends on how much $ the person donated to the hall. At least that was the way it was in one hall I was in. This man died whose wife was a Witness. He never was and never even studied. The guy was the town drunk too and died young (53) from liver failure. He had a lot of money and over the years he gave a lot of it to elders via his wife of course making huge donations. Also he and his wife invited lots of elders to his private vacation home for skiing in the winter and boating in the summer. What is that again about "bad associations?" Hmmm, anyway;

Apparently because of all these favors and the money they gave the elders not only gave a talk at this guys funeral - they had the service in the Kingdom Hall! So like they say $ talks and bull**** walks. Lilly

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

My unbeleiving father received a J W funeral (cremation) , come to think of it, we never thought to ask him, when alive, what he wanted ! I have attended a couple of others, one delivered by a c/o who was a friend of the witness daughter of the deceased.

km

3/97p.7QuestionBox***

Question

Box

?" When the congregation is called upon to assist in arranging for a funeral,the following questions may arise:

Who

should give the funeral discourse? This is a decision to be made by family members. They may select any baptized brother in good standing. If the body of elders are asked to provide a speaker, they will usually select a capable elder to give a talk based on the Society’s outline. Although not eulogizing the deceased, it may be appropriate to call attention to exemplary qualities he or she displayed.

May

the Kingdom Hall be used? It can if permission has been granted by the body of elders and if it does not interfere with a regularly scheduled meeting. The hall may be used if the deceased had a clean reputation and was a member of the congregation or the minor child of a member. If the individual had caused public notoriety by unchristian conduct, or if other factors exist that might reflect unfavorably on the congregation, the elders may decide not to allow the use of the hall.—See Our Ministry book, pages 62-3.

Ordinarily, Kingdom Halls are not used for funerals of unbelievers. An exception might be made if surviving family members are actively associated as baptized publishers, the deceased was known by a fair number in the congregation to have had a favorable attitude toward the truth and a good reputation for upright conduct in the community, and no worldly customs are incorporated into the program.

When granting use of the Kingdom Hall, the elders will consider whether it is customarily expected to see the casket present at the funeral. If it is, they might permit it to be brought into the hall.

What

about funerals forworldly people? If the deceased had a good reputation in the community, a brother might give a comforting Bible talk at the funeral home or graveside. The congregation will decline to handle a funeral for one who was known for immoral, unlawful conduct or whose life-style grossly conflicted with Bible principles. A brother certainly would not share with a clergyman in conducting an interfaith service nor in any funeral conducted in a church of Babylon the Great.

What

if the deceased was disfellowshipped? The congregation would generally not be involved. The Kingdom Hall would not be used. If the person had been giving evidence of repentance and manifesting a desire to be reinstated, a brother’s conscience might allow him to give a Bible talk at the funeral home or graveside, to give a witness to unbelievers and to comfort the relatives. Before making this decision, however, it would be wise for the brother to consult with the body of elders and give consideration to what they may recommend. In situations where it would not be wise for that brother to be involved, it may be appropriate for a brother who is a member of the deceased person’s family to give a talk to console the relatives.

Further direction can be found in the Watchtower issues of October 15, 1990, pages 30-1; September 15, 1981, page 31; March 15, 1980, pages 5-7; June 1, 1978, pages 5-8; June 1, 1977, pages 347-8; March 15, 1970, pages 191-2; and Awake! of September 8, 1990, pages 22-3 and March 22, 1977, pages 12-15."

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Thank you for those wonderful responses, and the kind words. My concern is for my sister's emotional wellbeing during this difficult time, and with your insights you have helped me to understand better how I can help and support her.

Susan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit