Do you have any phobias?

by greendawn 36 Replies latest jw friends

• DesertRat
    DesertRat

Acrophobia (fear of heights)...inherited from my mother, I think..

Used to be afraid of spiders (arachnophobia), again like my mother, until I forced myself to confront it. I had just been laid off from my first job (1992), & decided that one way to feel better might be to conquer a fear. So I went to a local pet store & asked to look at the tarantulas. The instant one of the employees brought out a big brown one & it crawled onto my hand, I thought I would pass out. But just as soon as I realized that it wasn't going to hurt me, the fear vanished..

I am embarrassed to admit this, but I also have what I now know is called emetophobia (fear of vomiting). Nobody's favorite thing to do, I am sure, but for some reason one real episode of sickness at age eight left me traumatized (fortunately it almost never happens to me). Anytime I begin to feel the slightest bit nauseated, I kind of freak out & do all sorts of things (i.e., sit absolutely still, drink lots of herb tea, etc.) in order to prevent the inevitable. I used to think it was a bizarre & unusual phobia, but now realize that I am far from alone (I believe one forum for emetophobes is www.emetophobia.org).

DR

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I freak out in water that I cannot see around me. If I even feel like something has touched me I can get hysterical. I can't seem to even talk myself out of it or even be logical. I get in a real panic.

Also, I cannot stand to be in a walkin closet, a bathroom, dressing room, laundryroom......rooms of this size for any amount of time. I try on clothes at stores so fast it is unbelieable, and can pee faster than anyone I know.

A tanning bed, MRI machine........doest not bother me at all.

purps

• seawolf
    seawolf

Public speaking unless it's on a subject that I'm an expert on.

hmm spiders never bothered me. I realized I might be somewhat unusual when someone said there was a big spider and I went and smashed it with my hand. LOL everyone looked at me with this "WTF" look on their faces! LOL I guess I better hold off on posting a picture of me holding a tarantula... lol

• parakeet
    parakeet

Cult phobia. Anything that smacks of a cult sends me running and screaming into the street.

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Ornithophobia - Fear of birds.... They really scare me. They fly in from nowhere and I have a terrible fright. I've thrown myself down on the pavement on main roads because birds get to close. If they are hanging around the backyard I am to scared to venture outside and do simple things like hang out my washing.

Just hearing their wings flap scares the hell out of me. I have nightmares where I am being attacked to the point of death by birds.

• snarf
    snarf

Bats, oooh I hate those suckers !!!! Also, heights. My biggest phobia is probably not being able to breath. I hate those close to face talkers, they take my air and I can't breath. Germs also, so I always carry sanitizing lotion.

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

....................no. Just don't trust that many people.....sorta like most people that have been burned!!! Know what I mean?

• becca1
    becca1

lizards, yuck!

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit
    Men are WONDERFUL spider killers, I must say!

That is my wifes job. Actually, she removes them from the house(I prefer them dead, and I'm sure that if I could get trapped in their home/web, they wouldn't hesistate to kill me). Fricken things want to get on me. I won't walk into the woods without waving a stick in front of me so as not to walk into a web. I freak out when I walk through one. What if the spider got on me? I've screamed and almost caused my wife to crash the car cuz there was a spider on my shirt.

• Mulan
    Mulan

..................and rats! Yuck!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit