Amish forgivness

by megsmomma 19 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Coping with Death, Grief, and Loss

What is Grief?

Grief occurs in response to the loss of someone or something. The loss may involve a loved one, a job, or possibly a role (student entering the workplace or employee entering retirement). Anyone can experience grief and loss. It can be sudden or expected; however, individuals are unique in how they experience this event. Grief, itself, is a normal and natural response to loss. There are a variety of ways that individuals respond to loss. Some are healthy coping mechanisms and some may hinder the grieving process. It is important to realize that acknowledging the grief promotes the healing process. Time and support facilitate the grieving process, allowing an opportunity to appropriately mourn this loss.

Common Reactions to Loss:

Individuals experiencing grief from a loss may choose a variety of ways of expressing it. No two people will respond to the same loss in the same way. It is important to note that phases of grief exist; however, they do not depict a specific way to respond to loss. Rather, stages of grief reflect a variety of reactions that may surface as an individual makes sense of how this loss affects them. Experiencing and accepting all feelings remains an important part of the healing process.

• Denial, numbness, and shock

• This serves to protect the individual from experiencing the intensity of the loss.
    • Numbness is a normal reaction to an immediate loss and should not be confused with "lack of caring".
    • Denial and disbelief will diminish as the individual slowly acknowledges the impact of this loss and accompanying feelings.
    • Bargaining
    • At times, individuals may ruminate about what could have been done to prevent the loss.
    • Individuals can become preoccupied about ways that things could have been better, imagining all the things that will never be.
    • This reaction can provide insight into the impact of the loss; however, if not properly resolved, intense feelings of remorse or guilt may hinder the healing process.
    • Depression
    • After recognizing the true extent of the loss, some individuals may experience depressive symptoms.
    • Sleep and appetite disturbance, lack of energy and concentration, and crying spells are some typical symptoms.
    • Feelings of loneliness, emptiness, isolation, and self-pity can also surface during this phase, contributing to this reactive depression.
    • For many, this phase must be experienced in order to begin reorganizing one’s life.
    • Anger
    • This reaction usually occurs when an individual feels helpless and powerless.
    • Anger may result from feeling abandoned, occurring in cases of loss through death.
    • Feelings of resentment may occur toward one’s higher power or toward life in general for the injustice of this loss.
    • After an individual acknowledges anger, guilt may surface due to expressing these negative feelings.
    • Again, these feelings are natural and should be honored to resolve the grief.
    • Acceptance
    • Time allows the individual an opportunity to resolve the range of feelings that surface.
    • The grieving process supports the individual. That is, healing occurs when the loss becomes integrated into the individual’s set of life experiences.
    • Individuals may return to some of the earlier feelings throughout one’s lifetime.
    • There is no time limit to the grieving process. Each individual should define one’s own healing process.
    • Factors that may hinder the healing process:
    • Avoidance or minimization of one’s emotions.
    • Use of alcohol or drugs to self-medicate.
    • Use of work (overfunction at workplace) to avoid feelings.
    • Guidelines that may help resolve grief
    • Allow time to experience thoughts and feelings openly to self.
    • Acknowledge and accept all feelings, both positive and negative.
    • Use a journal to document the healing process.
    • Confide in a trusted individual; tell the story of the loss.
    • Express feelings openly. Crying offers a release.
    • Identify any unfinished business and try to come to a resolution.
    • Bereavement groups provide an opportunity to share grief with others who have experienced similar loss.
    • If the healing process becomes too overwhelming, seek professional help.

http://www.uiowa.edu/~ucs/griefloss.html

People go through things in their own little individual ways, and it's not always in an organized fashion. For me, this thing going on with my mother and husband has turned me into an angry zombie! All I do is sleep, eat, and bitch and moan!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I don't believe in a turn the other cheek attitude. I think it is unnatural and zombie-like. It reminds me of that time machine movie where the guy gets sent into the far distant future where the human race has degenerated into a population of lazy, apathetic morons who don't even know enough to save themselves from the cannibalistic morlocks who live underground and hunt them.

I am not saying you should be consumed with hate but I do feel turn the other cheek is for small infractions and not something horrific like the Amish murders. I don't believe it means you should lay down and die for anybody (give me a break).

LHG

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    I am not saying you should be consumed with hate but I do feel turn the other cheek is for small infractions and not something horrific like the Amish murders. I don't believe it means you should lay down and die for anybody (give me a break).

Don't know if this is response to my comments or not. But I don't suggest I agree with the turn the other cheek idea, only that I believe the AMish do live to it.

Jeff

• exwitless
    exwitless

My dad was raised amish (he left at age 18). His parents were amish until they died. I have an aunt and uncle and MANY cousins who are amish. I visit them about once a year. They are extremely hard-working, friendly, and hospitable people (much more so than JWs). There are lots of different sects of the amish. The Pennsylvania amish are generally considered more strict than other sects in Indiana and Ohio. As with ANY religion, there are those who do get into trouble, like getting pregnant before marriage, drinking, etc. But in this regard they are no worse than any other religion. It just seems more odd to hear of this happening because many people picture the amish as incapable of even having the ability to commit "sin". Yes, they are humans, just like the rest of us. But they are very humble and do not like undue attention drawn to them, especially in a tragic case like this one.

• Bad Girl
    Bad Girl

I dont agree with the way a lot of them run puppy mills where dogs are bred in cramped and crowded conditions purely for money. The Amish are supposed to be a peaceful people who respect animals, so it beats me how they can treat dogs in such a vile way

http://www.awawatchdog.com/0205/index.htm

• dido
    dido

I saw a programme the other day where a woman had spent time with the hamish women doing quilts, and she said that they practsie shunning for anyone that does wrongdoing, and anyone that marries outside of their cult. That is even worse than jw`s as they don`t shun you, but mark you if you marry outside of the religion. The reason she said they can forgive so easily is that they believe that anyone who dies is taken to be with god, that`s why they accept it as they believe god called the ones that died.

• dido
    dido

Oops, amish.

• acadian
    acadian

Forgivness, if only WE could be so Generous....and Merciful...WE are so ready to Attack, even the Victim, shame on ALL of US... Let's forget the kids that were murdered and pick apart their parents...SICK! A sad commentary on society today...and one that shows a real lack of love, mercy and forgivness for other people...sad... Acadian

• dido
    dido

Acadian-get real, who`s picking on anyone, we are just discussing a topic so hush.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

How can anyone forgive a cold-blooded murderer of helpless little girls who can no longer speak for themselves? The murderer needs THEIR forgiveness, and they haven't given it because they can't, and no one but God can speak for them. The Bible says God does not forgive such persons, for they will not gain entrance into Christ's Kingdom. (Galatians 5:19-21) The girls very likely had no feelings of forgiveness as they were about to be mercilessly slaughtered, and it is highly unlikely they were in a mood to forgive such a horrible deed the moment they breathed their last.

Jesus and Stephen forgave as they were being murdered for their religious faith, but their situation was monumentally different. Jesus and Stephen amazingly were able to take the position that their killers were ignorant and were under the delusion that they were doing the will of God. But the murderer of these children killed because of a grudge and it was pre-meditated for many days, a grudge that has nothing in it that cries out for grace, mercy and forgiveness.

Genuine forgiveness would allow this murderer to go unpunished if he had lived. The Bible on the other hand gives the warning: "Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, therefore the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil." (Ecclesiastes 8:11)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit