Would a JW or exJW please answer these FDS questions for a nonJW? Please

by My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW 9 Replies latest jw friends

• My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW
    My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW

I am a nonJW. I posed a couple of very straightforward questions to my MIL and asked if she or any other JW would please explain them to me? I've read alot of JW material from this time period and I find very little in the way of clarification. I am trying to understand.

Nothing difficult, something every JW must get taught in the beginning. . Please explain how the “Faithful and Discreet Slave” governed and made doctrinal decisions between 1914-1935 and when, where, how and why did they create an entirely new group called the Governing Body and turn all of their power over to them.

What I expected was clarification… something along the lines of in 1926 all of the FDS got together at the polo grounds and voted, and the following doctrines were adopted.

An elder was kind enough to take the time to respond, however he did everything but answer the questions. He did refer me to McMillan’s book “Faith on the March” which I found on line and read in its entirety. It provided a great insight in terms of a gentlemen who actually knew Russell, Rutherford and Knorr and how decisions at the top came about since 1914. His personal ideas as to why this was God’s channel was that since other sects of that time made predictions about the time of the end and later disintegrated, but this one survived, then God must have been behind them. This proves nothing to me, but does show how little it takes to convince some people. Nothing mentioned of the FDS.

Later when explaining the GB arrangement he stated that because the early Christians used a Theocracy then the current JW’s would use one. What jumped out was the following reasoning:

Faith on the March page 157
    Besides taking the lead in the preaching work the governing body was responsible to make reproofs and corrections and direct the conduct of the organization. This could not be done unless those in responsible positions in the congregation were representatives of the governing body, being appointed by it. These appointments were not made by an organization of men, but by the power of God's holy spirit. Hence, those who opposed or resisted the theocratic arrangement were not opposing or resisting men; they were striving against the spirit of God.

According to this reasoning then if I put on a Chicago Bulls uniform #23 and walk onto the Chicago Stadium court and declare that I am doing what Michael Jorden did, then I must be the modern day Michael Jordan? This is a joke right?

Again…. Nothing mentioned of the FDS. I was hoping for something like, under the current system it is difficult for Brooklyn to communicate with all of the FDS, so we are switching to a Theocratic organization and the Circuit overseers will meet monthly with all the FDS anointed and report their insights to the GB. In this way the FDS will continue to run the organization.

I’m losing patience here. Just a straight answer.
    Please explain how the FDS governed and made doctrinal decisions between 1914-1935 and when, where, how and why did they create an entirely new group called the GB and turn all of their power over to them.
    Thanks in advance for your comments.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Okay, there is no true explanation for what you are asking. The problem is this-

There was no clear class of FDS until 1935. That's when JW's told the rank and file
    that there were some going to heaven and some living forever on earth.
    There never was a turnover of power from FDS to GB. The leader was the president
    of the corporation, his board of directors was the Governing Body, but they did
    whatever he said, until 1975 (give or take a year) when the board voted to take
    control over the president.

The JW's cannot explain the FDS giving authority to the GB, because they slowly
    convinced them that it has always been that way, when the FDS actually never
    had any say-so in any matters.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I think that is the key to understanding the issue raised there is double talk by the real leaders taht obscures the issue. Originally Russell admitted timidly that he was the FDS then Rutherford who was trying to diminish his influence declared that all baptised JWs (then Bible students) were the FDS and from 1935 they claimed that those baptised thereafter were no longer part of this anointed FDS.

However in practice only the presidents of the WTS and their inner circle and from the mid 1970's only the GB members were the FDS while all the rest were completely ignored having absolutely no say in the way doctrine was formulated or the org was being run.

Thus when we say the FDS did something bad we really refer only to Russell, Rutherford, Knorr, Franz and the GB members since the mid 1970's, since the rest of the anointed were deprived of all authority and influence by them.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Good point to greendawn about Rutherford. A serious JW could explain that "The FDS were not fully aware of their importance until Rutherford helped them see so.
    Originally, the Bible Students were aware of their heavenly hope, but JFR
    helped them to see that they were all receiving the holy spirit they once thought that
    only CTRussel was getting. Since they had to preach all around the world, they
    could not all meet in one place and they could not all make decisions about
    things, so they needed representatives. The publishing company and its president
    with a board of directors was already there, so they were the logical choice.
    Anyway, I don't have to fully understand it, because Jehovah did it, it's right."

• My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW
    My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW

OTWO and Greendawn
    Thanks for your responses.
    The WTS assertion of being God's Channel hinges on the FDS passage saying Christ came back in 1914 and found and identified the FDS (at that time Russell) to his liking. But since many if not most of the doctirnes being practiced by Russell in 1914-1918 were later changed or dropped by Rutherford and Knorr (including the FDS), then what sense does it make that Christ would choose Russell to begin with. This is illogical.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You discovered our secret. We are all ashamed that our thinking was in line with "illogical" doctrine. Sorry I can't be of more help on your question, but virtually no JW will ever be able to satisfy your demand for sense or logic.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Actually it is taught that Jesus "inspected" christians in 1918 or so and chose the Witnoids. It wasn't Russell who was chosen, he was the impetus for the movement that Jesus chose years later. Kinda confusing, aint it? That's why Jehovah put up with all the pyramid and demonic stuff. Of course, other christians weren't using the pyramid or any of the other demonic stuff and they weren't chosen. Wierd, huh?

Thanks J. F. Rutherford for clearing that matter up.

W.Once

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

My letter of resignation as an elder includes the statements that I do not "know" the Governing Body, I do not know how the FDS uses them or contacts them, or for that matter, if the FDS is not even consulted by the Governing Body.

I have let them know that I can find very little in (WT) print to help me learn the answers.

The organization is virtually silent when explaining the FDS giving authority to the GB, because it is a fairy tale.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Good points, the JWs have kept very little from Russell and they dishonestly claim that he is their founder whereas their real founder is Rutherford both in doctrine and spirit. But since they grabbed his corporation in 1916 they have to claim him to legitimise their possession of it. The Bible Students are the real Russellites. Anyone knowing the history of both of these characters realises that the Christ had much better people to choose than them, had he wanted to choose. They were too narcistic or dishonest to admit that, they thought they were the centre of the universe.

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

You've just come up with the best summation of the situation I've ever seen. I'm going to use it every chance I get.

According to this reasoning then if I put on a Chicago Bulls uniform #23 and walk onto the Chicago Stadium court and declare that I am doing what Michael Jorden did, then I must be the modern day Michael Jordan? This is a joke right?

Unfortunately, many JWs would in fact believe you were the modern-day Michael Jordan, no matter how poorly you play, if the Watchtower said it.

Jankyn, oh-I-wish-it-were-a-joke class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit