question for Atheists with children?

by unbeliever 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Nowman
    Nowman

I m an agnostic but I am going to reply anyway. I am divorced and remarried. My ex-husbands wife talks about God to my kids alot. Thats ok as long as shes not pushy about it. But, myself, when my kids asks me about God, I tell them how I feel about it, then I tell them its up to them, what they want to be believe in. On the other hand, I also tell them what I know about the bible for education purposes. Obviously, what I have taught them is based on when I was a JW but I try to keep what I have said in line with what other religions teach, (ie: Noah and the ark, etc). I want them to make their own decisions, and without regularity in going to church, or whatever in their childhood, they are growing up just fine.

Nikki

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

The Dawkins letter was very good! I especially like the points he raised in the "revelation" reasons.

• daystar
    daystar

jstalin, I must respectfully disagree. All opinions on any possible side of the argument are just that, opinions.

I don't understand the desire to let kids "make up their own minds" when it comes to religion. Would we let them make up their own minds about what is right and wrong? How about what color the sun is?

So, you would rather force atheism on children? How is that different than forcing right-wing Christianity? You can instill morals in a person without God, you know this. So I don't understand your issue here.

I think I would guide my son away from extremism of any sort, including extreme atheism.

• AlanF
    AlanF

I've made it clear to my daughter (now age 21) that I don't believe in the existence of any gods at all, but most important, the reasons why. She examined the evidence for herself and came to the same conclusion. She has no religiosity and I think is much better off for it. She's extremely well adjusted and level headed, and has no trace of the superstitions that so often plague religious people. Like me, she leaves enough room open for new evidence, and so we're both agnostic in that sense, but with strong leanings toward atheism.

AlanF

• unbeliever
    unbeliever
    From an atheist's point of view, I don't understand the desire to let kids "make up their own minds" when it comes to religion. Would we let them make up their own minds about what is right and wrong?

Jstalin,

You are making this issue out to be black and white. I don't believe a god exists but I am still not sure its my place to tell him that. I don't want to force my beliefs on him and tell him this is how it is end of story. Its so much more complex than that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit