Your self esteem dubs and how to boost it?

by greendawn 5 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

How was your self esteem during your JW days, did the dubs do things that elevated or lowered it? What things boost it now that you are outside the org? As a dub I didn't like the lack of cordiality, it was a society that was socially impenetrable and that made me feel unwanted, something that undermined my sense of self esteem.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

The way to boost your self esteem is by carrying on positive self talk. You can get your self some positve affirmations and read them to yourself everyday until they become part of you. I got that from outside the organization. I have been out for 23 years. One positive of the organization for me is that it was a social organization in the 70's so you learned to interact with people which can help you with life in the world. To help you with your self esteem, check out a best selling book your erronious zones by Dr. Wayne, Dyer.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Self-esteem and JWs doesn't belong in the same sentence.

It was always my feeling they had issues if you had good self-esteem and were a woman. It took me years to build up my self-esteem because of my home life and I was not about to let these people drag me down. When I joined the JWs it soon became apparent they had issues if you felt good about yourself. I feel they begrudged you your self-respect.

I don't know how else to say it except they wanted you to feel guilty about something - like you should always be apologizing for something you never did.

LHG

• Jamie_from_Canada
    Jamie_from_Canada

I remember my circle of JW friends when i was just finishing high school and planning to become a regular pioneer. I went through a period of deep depression and went to the elders about it. I made some close friends with the elders who spent time with me at coffee shops in the evening, conversations in the back of cars, mornings in service together, personal letters of encouragements, prayers together. The presiding overseer photocopied a bunch of old watchtower and awake articles and highlighted sections he thought would lift me up. His son-in law was also an elder who lived in the basement of his house and together they purchased a suit for me and long underware for doing service in the winter months. Those letters and memories gave me strength in later years through difficult moments. It was difficult to lose those friends.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Welcome Jamie..that was very nice for the JW's to do that. Now see..if someone had reached out to me that way, I'd probably still be in. That's all I wanted ...a little attention.

Instead...I was bad association, marked, weak..and warned about to others, especially the guys. So I went elsewhere for a little attention.

Just as well.

lisa

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Lisavegas420:

So you were "bad association", "marked", "weak" and "warned about to others"...

I'll bet you are good looking too. That is why they had to warn others - especially the guys - about you [rolls eyeballs].

LHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit