Eisenhower used WT Bible when sworn into office

by Bonnie_Clyde 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Joel Rosenburg was on TV a few minutes ago talking about Eisenhower's background. He mentioned that his father left the religion after the end of the world did not happen in 1914 and that his mother continued. Then he mentioned that when he was sworn into office, he had his hands on a Bible published by Jehovah's Witnesses. Since that was in 1952, and the New World Translation had only just begun to be translated (the Greek Scripturesin 1950), I wonder if it was the American Standard Version. The Watchtower had bought the printing rights to that Version.

• badboy
    badboy

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS,MAN!

• Arthur
    Arthur
    YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS,MAN!

Actually, it is true that Eisenhower's family had a history in the Bible Students. It has been confirmed that his mother was a Witness. Dwight himself never fully embraced the faith as an adult, however, it is believed that he did hold some WTS beliefs even into his presidency. As far as him being sworn in on that particular Bible; I don't know. I hadn't heard about that. But, given Eisenhower's background, it would not be far-fetched to believe that he owned such a translation, and chose to use it.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Talk about rebellious youths!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

...invading Europe and then becoming president of the United States - that's gotta take some beating as far as Jehovah's Witness youths who "went off the rails" in adulthood!

I wonder, was his mother alive to Witness all this?

From what I gather Eisenhower was not keen on talking about his Witness background, he was a bit ashamed of it. Marley Cole went to great lengths to prove that the president had a Witness background in his book "The New World Soceity". In view of that it seems doubtful Eisenhower would have used a Jehovah's Witness Bible - though not impossible.

What exactly is the evidence for it?

Slim

• blondie
    blondie

The NWT was published in segments starting in 1950 and ending in 1961 with the release of the entire book.

1950, first volume of NewWorldTranslation released: yb75 213, 219; w60 599-600; jp 257-8; w50 316

1961, New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures: si 324-5; w79 8/15 15-16; yb75 220; w68 22-3, 27; yb68 30-3; w62 528; yb62 48, 75-6; w61 636-7; ns 22, 369

I have each one of those segments in my library. So in 1952 the whole NWT did not even exist. The WTS did print and distribute the Authorized Version through the congregations (I have such a copy in my library). The WTS also used the KJV extensively prior to 1950. It is possible he used such a family Bible, either the AV or KJV, but in no way could they be considered a translation originating with the WTS.

Blondie

• morning glory
    morning glory

Slimboyfat asked,"

I wonder, was his mother alive to Witness all this?"

Answer is Yes!

http://www.kancoll.org/khq/1945/45_7_eisenhower.htm

IN June, 1945, Dwight David Eisenhower, supreme commander of the allied armies in Europe, returned to the United States for the first time after the victory in Europe. As the executive who welded more than five million men and women into a unified force, and as a great general, he had received world acclaim. In London, Paris, Washington, New York, West Point and Kansas City the highest honors were bestowed upon him. On the 21st he came home for a visit with members of his family, including his mother and four brothers. He stayed in Abilene two days and was welcomed in a celebration that demonstrated the pride and affection of his fellow Kansans.

For a picture of his mother welcoming him,check out the rest of this link,towards the bottom.

• greendawn
    greendawn

As the Supreme allied commander in the Western European war theatre he did quite well in defeating the axis powers. Had he been a JW he would have never participated in that war effort, meanwhile the dubs benefitted enormously out of the defeat of the axis as Hitler was set on destroying them.

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

According to an article by Gerald Bergman in the Journal of American & Comparative Cultures, there is a photo in the London Daily News of February 2, 1957 (page 1) that shows Eisenhower being sworn in with his hand on the American Standard Version that his mother gave him. The article is called "The Influence of Religion on President Eisenhower's Upbringing," and it appears in Volume 23 (Winter -2000), Page 89.

I remember that we used the ASV almost entirely at the meetings until the releases of the NWT. The Society first began publishing the ASV in 1944. It had a light brown cover and cost a dollar. But they also made available a larger edition at higher cost with extensive notes, indexes and maps. It was published by Thomas Nelson & Sons. It was quite a Bible, and I wish I still had my copy. It began falling apart about 3 years ago, and I got rid of it. (Sigh!)

Frank

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Interesting topic! Blondie - as usual has the history spot on. fjtoth - seems you have the answer here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit