How did you come to be a Christian?

by BlackSwan of Memphis 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I walked into a Catholic Church in Ireland, and for the first time in my life I felt like I entered a holy place, like god was actually there, Never felt that in the kingdumb hall. My grandma has always been Catholic, she always seemed happy, religous, and always loved all of us, no matter what our "standing' was, it seemed like she had a different relationship with god than ALL of my crazy JW family did, her god was a god of love and forgiveness, I wanted to be apart of that. and now I am a Christian.

• Carmel
    Carmel

after leaving the borg as a teenager I spent nearly 18 years seeking a "true" church then gave up in futility. I came to believe that Jesus was ONE of thee "Christs". Hence, by definition I am "christian" in that I accept the station of the "Christ" but unlike most Christians I don't see Jesus as exclusively so designated.

carmel

• Satanus
    Satanus

For me, it was a natural transition from the wt. Leaving the wt, an independent reading of the bible showed me that some churches were more like the nt christians. So, that's where i went. While there, i started feeling drawn to jesus more than jehovah. That lasted for about 2 yrs, when my faith in the book was shattered. Jesus is on his own, now.

S

• myelaine
    myelaine

"I came to believe that Jesus was ONE of thee "Christs"....

carmel"

And the word of the LORD came to me, saying, Son of man, say to her: 'You are a land that is not cleansed or rained on in the day of indignation.'

'The conspiracy of her prophets in her midst is like a roaring lion tearing the prey; they have devoured people; they have taken treasure and precious things; they have made many widows in her midst. Her priests have violated My law and profaned My holy things; they have not distinguished between the holy and unholy,nor have they made known the difference between the unclean and the clean; and they have hidden their eyes from My Sabbaths, so that I am profaned among them. Her princes in her midst are like wolves tearing the prey, to shed blood, to destroy people, and to get dishonest gain.' (Ezekiel 22:23-27)

And you shall say to them, "Thus says the LORD: "If you will not listen to Me, to walk in My law which I have set before you, to heed the words of My servants the prophets whom I sent to you, both raising up early and sending them (but you have not heeded), then I will make this house like Shiloh, and will make this city a curse to all the nations of the earth." (Jeremiah 26:4-6)

michelle

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Worldly Andre: Yeah, I have to say after being in a few churches after exiting the jw's I can say that you're right about that. The kingdom hall doesn't have much of a spiritual holy sort of feeling. Looking back I guess one could say it was more cold then anything.

after leaving the borg as a teenager I spent nearly 18 years seeking a "true" church then gave up in futility. I came to believe that Jesus was ONE of thee "Christs". Hence, by definition I am "christian" in that I accept the station of the "Christ" but unlike most Christians I don't see Jesus as exclusively so designated.

Carmel: Can I ask who are the other Christs?

For me, it was a natural transition from the wt. Leaving the wt, an independent reading of the bible showed me that some churches were more like the nt christians. So, that's where i went. While there, i started feeling drawn to jesus more than jehovah. That lasted for about 2 yrs, when my faith in the book was shattered. Jesus is on his own, now.

I get the feeling that that is fairly common around here. I'm not trying to diminish your experience. I'm just saying that it seems like the natural transition is for someone to be Christian after leaving the jw's. Then within time some lose faith in Christianity entirely.

Michelle:

I realize your response was to Carmel, I'm just curious about your quote from Jeremiah. Could you explain more? Seems sort of cryptic.

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear BSoM...

see Psalm 78:60...

love michelle

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

9 He forsook the shrine at Shiloh, the tent where he dwelt with humans.
    Mmmm ok. I'm still not getting it. Thanks though.
  • XJW4EVR
  • myelaine
    myelaine

dear BSoM...

Also the ark of God was captured; and the two sons of Eli, Hophni(fists/as in sparring#2652) and Phinehas(mouth of a serpent#6372) died...1 Sam 4:11...

love michelle

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

xjw: Thank you so much for posting this link. I have just started reading it and when I finish I'll comment further.

Myelaine: Ok, thank you once again. But I'm still not understanding what you're trying to say. I have a feeling you're trying to tell someone that God has departed or somthing along those lines. Am I right? Sorry!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit