New to JW's and need to ask some questions....

by missk_ensington 22 Replies latest jw friends

• missk_ensington
    missk_ensington

Hi there,

I'm a new poster as well as being new to JW's (currently having Bible studies) and I have been researching the religion to make sure I go into it fully understanding what it is about, and what implications it would have on my life.

I am 20, a single parent with a child and although I was brought up being told 'The Truth' by my Mum, only have early memroes of attending KH. They are now trying to suck me back in but I have grave reservations and would lke everyone's opinion/view/advice.

Here are some issues I have: 1) Blood- Doesn't it say somewhere in Genesis that blood should not be taken through the mouth or the veins? The JW giving me my Bible studies says JW's get blood, but of a safer kind. Well safe or not, blood is till passing into the body is it not?

2) Christmas etc: the JW's Ive spoken to say they have 'present giving' celebrations through the year to compensate for Xmas, but I ask, Does a Rose not smell as sweet if given a different name? If this theory is acceptable then surely I can have a 'present giving' day on 24th/26th December? Or indeed on the 25th intself since I am having a present giving day, not celebrating Christmas day?

3) The chaperoning: Do I really have to do this? Why can't I find a husband in the World and get him to convert? Who does the chaperoning?

4) What are JW's views on homosexuality? I have many gay friends, wpould I have to disown them so to speak?

Any help would be most appreciated!

Regards

MissK

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Welcome Missk_ensington

I have grave reservations

There you go. I think perhaps you know the answer.

• bubble
    bubble

Hi Missk and welcome. I just have one piece of advice for you - RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!

Please don't get involved with the jw cult, you will regret it, and getting out is far harder than getting in.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Welcome miss k, the JWs are a cultic organisation and a commercial enterprise seeking to exploit religion to make money. They have nothing good to offer except a nicely dressed shop window without any of the goods behind.

You will certainly have to give up all your friends if you become a JW and if you disagree with them they will strictly cut off all contact with you.

• missk_ensington
    missk_ensington

Thanks! My reservations stem from the fact I feel already they have lied to me. I said i wouldn't become a JW because i enjoy my life as it it, they said I wouldn't have to change it and said I can still go out and I can still smoke.

On reading the literature I can see this is completely not true! I'm also struggling to understand why anyone would be Baptized, since you can get away with with rather a lot until you're Baptized but seeminglywould still come back to earth in the New World?!?

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Welcome missk. I echo the other posters sentiments

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!!

Welcome.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    1) Blood- Doesn't it say somewhere in Genesis that blood should not be taken through the mouth or the veins? The JW giving me my Bible studies says JW's get blood, but of a safer kind. Well safe or not, blood is till passing into the body is it not?

No it does not say that in Genesis. It doesn't say not take blood through the veins anywhere in the bible. There is a tremendous amount of research that has been done on this matter. But for starters, the Hebrews were told not to eat blood. Then later after Jesus arrival and death, there was an issue that arose between the newly converted Gentiles and the Jewish Christians. The Jewish Christians wanted the Gentiles to obey the OT laws, even though they themselves were no longer under the old law code. The apostles made the decison, for the sake of keeping the peace, for the Gentiles to not eat blood. This goes much deeper than this, this is very condensed. I really think you need to research this topic further.

2) Christmas etc: the JW's Ive spoken to say they have 'present giving' celebrations through the year to compensate for Xmas, but I ask, Does a Rose not smell as sweet if given a different name? If this theory is acceptable then surely I can have a 'present giving' day on 24th/26th December? Or indeed on the 25th intself since I am having a present giving day, not celebrating Christmas day?

You make a good point, no, a Great point.

3) The chaperoning: Do I really have to do this? Why can't I find a husband in the World and get him to convert? Who does the chaperoning?

a) IF you become a JW, I would suggest a chaperone for one reason, to protect your reputation. Trust me when I say this, please. Other then that, I don't know if you could get in trouble for not using a chaperone. b) Marrying someone who is not a JW and then pushing them to convert is not fair to the individual you are marrying.

4) What are JW's views on homosexuality? I have many gay friends, wpould I have to disown them so to speak?

Their views are like every other Christian religion so to speak. They believe that homosexuality is wrong. I don't know if the elders in your congregation would make you disown them, but whatever sexual orientation your non jw friends are, you will be greatly discouraged from continuing a friendship with them unless it is to try to convert them. Then you count that time as time spent in the ministry.

Welcome to the board. There is a great section called The Best Of Lady Lee. You will find many, many topics there.

Also here is a site that I highly reccomend:

www.jwfacts.com

There are several other great sites out there that I am sure others can help you find.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Indeed they have numerous rules and regulations that make life very burdensome and their ideas about a new world here on earth and entering it through them are fairy tales to draw in and exploit new members. Keep your distance from them, they have been predicting these things "as soon to occur events" without any success whatsoever since 1914 that's nearly 100 years.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    1) Blood- Doesn't it say somewhere in Genesis that blood should not be taken through the mouth or the veins?

No. Blood transfusions were not possible back then. It is a rather recent medical advancement. Blood taken in by mouth is no longer blood, it is food. The nature of blood put into veins never changes from blood into something else, it is used as and serves the function of blood in the body.

JWs cannot take blood transfusions, but can take blood-based products in many altered states.

I see more evidence in the Bible for refusing altered state blood products than for refusing the transfusion of whole blood.

2) Does a Rose not smell as sweet if given a different name?

Yes. In fact, Paul specifically said that one person regadrs one day as above another, another holds that day as any other. Christians shouldn't be troubling each other about celebrations, unless there actually is some significance to diong a thing on a certain day. In my opinion, they credit power to days and seasons by their resistance of the days and seasons.

3) The chaperoning: Do I really have to do this? Why can't I find a husband in the World and get him to convert?

Yeah. You really have to. Even if its a "worldly" man. Also, if you get him to convert he is too dense for your own good, anyway.

4) What are JW's views on homosexuality? I have many gay friends, would I have to disown them so to speak?

Yes, but only in the sense that you would have to "disown" all of your non-JW friends. And even your fringe JW friends will become unacceptable associates. You will overhear comments that make clear that aggressive opposition to homosexuality and homosexuals is not regarded as a bad thing by very many JWs, despite the official policy that homosexuals are in no greater spiritual danger than any other gross wrongdoer and that the people should be loved while the behavior should be abhored.

1 Corinthians 15:33
    Do not be misled. Bad associations spoil useful habits.

You may as well start searing this into your brain now. This is the grounds on which any who are not like JWs, even among professing JWs, are shunned whether officially or unofficially. The shunning may be in degrees, depending on whether the person has ever been a JW or nearly been a JW. But socializing by choice with non-JWs (outside required work/school interactions) is considered a fast-track to becoming viewed as a bad associate, yourself.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    they said I wouldn't have to change it and said I can still go out and I can still smoke.

Noooooo, never. Smoking is a disfellowshipping offence. Someone's telling porkies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit