What impact if all fence-sitters left the BORG?

by BizzyBee 5 Replies latest jw friends

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

What if.................there were no longer any consequences brought to bear on JWs who no longer believe it is the truth? No DF-ing, no shunning, no loss of family. What impact would there be statistically on the organization if those who are now 'just going through the motions' - just left?

Also, what impact would there be on those who stay in? How would they be influenced by realizing that many of those around them no longer believed?

• greendawn
    greendawn

In a recent thread it was stated that the JWs don't count inactive ones in their statistics so if they leave that would have no effect on their sum total. However if all active ones that have in fact left the org mentally also departed physically it would be a disaster for the WTS since there are no doubt many such unwilling JWs.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Mass exodus.

There would be too many questions asked of those who leave. The GB would be afraid of their influence.

It'll never happen.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

It will never happen..It is the only social contact for many of them..It is thier world...OUTLAW

• blondie
    blondie

During the fallout over the 1925 prophecy and JFR's battle with the Bible Student elders, approximately 3/4 of the members left. Yet the WTS is still here and with more members than ever. The more things change, the more things stay the same.

When members leave, many of them take with them the oral history of the BORG. For example, how many JWs who came in 10 to 15 years after 1975 really understand what happened. They have the "adjusted" version of WTS history in the publications and the "adjusted" memories of the ones who stayed despite the cognitive dissonance caused by 1975.

Blondie

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Blondie, that's a very serious answer. It is also right on target.

For example, how many JWs who came in 10 to 15 years after 1975 really understand what happened. They have the "adjusted" version of WTS history in the publications and the "adjusted" memories of the ones who stayed despite the cognitive dissonance caused by 1975.

I came in during that time period you speak of. I never really heard about it, even though my mother was an expert. She told me the truth about 1975 after I was an elder, I couldn't believe she got reinstated and believed their crap. (Even as an elder with a few doubts, I thought that) I had to dig to see what really happened in 1975, using only WT pubs.

A mass exodus caused by Bethel layoffs, UN scandal, news on pediphiles, or whatever- the core will adjust and start recruiting more. I do think that numbers will be harder to get up with Bible Students googling "Watchtower" or "Jehovah's Witnesses."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit