A Survey regarding Blood Transfusion and JW Children

by windchime 9 Replies latest watchtower medical

• windchime
    windchime

Just for your reference to know the situation.
    http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20060925a6.html

Monday, Sept. 25, 2006
    Some hospitals OK blood for kids over parents' objections

Three out of four hospitals that have guidelines on Jehovah's Witness patients have said they would give young children blood transfusions even if their parents opposed such procedures on account of their faith, according to a survey released Sunday.
    The survey was conducted in March by Tetsuro Kagawa, an anesthesiologist at Hyogo Prefectural Kobe Children's Hospital, on 64 hospitals nationwide. Forty said they have guidelines.
    Of those with guidelines, 30 said they would conduct blood transfusions, while three said they would not. The others said their guidelines have no specific provisions for children.
    The survey showed that doctors at 12 hospitals performed a total of 23 operations on patients aged up to 18 related to Jehovah's Witness followers in 2005. Kagawa did not ask whether any of these hospitals complied with parental requests against blood transfusions.
    Some hospitals have drawn up guidelines following a 2000 Supreme Court ruling that accommodated a rejection of a blood transfusion by a Jehovah's Witness as a matter subject to an individual's right to decide.
    Many hospitals are believed to have no guidelines regarding Jehovah's Witnesses, who are estimated to number around 220,000 in Japan. Seeing the results of the survey, some experts expressed concerns about whether children's rights to medical treatment are properly protected.
    The survey posed the hypothetical question of whether a hospital would go ahead with a blood transfusion for a 2-year-old patient if his Jehovah's Witness parents had refused a transfusion but there was no other way to save his life.

The Japan Times
    (C) All rights reserved

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

WindChime, Welcome to the forum !

And...thank you for posting that info. There is another current issue going on in Ireland right now, too.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/16/121114/1.ashx

Rabbit

• windchime
    windchime

Rabbit, thanks for your comment. I've read about that, and am interested in Winnipeg issue, too. Is there any update with it?

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

I think there has been something happening, but, I haven't been reading that much the last few days.

You can 'jump' to the 'Blood, Medical & Depression' forum at the bottom of the page. That makes it easier than having to wade thru so many of the new posts.

Since my Mom died over the blood transfusion issue, this subject occupies a rather large part in the 'Hate what the WTS has done to it's followers' section of my brain.

Rabbit (of the don't wanna attend any more JW funerals over this BS...class)

• windchime
    windchime

>You can 'jump' to the 'Blood, Medical & Depression' forum at the bottom of the page. That makes it easier than having to wade thru so many of the new posts.
    Thank you, I will watch them.

I am sorry for lost of your mother. My parents and brother are still in the org, and they might face the same situation like your mother.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Thank you.

It is scary...knowing our JW relatives are living their lives holding that ticking blood time bomb. I now have grown children who have kids...I helped with my JW ex-wife to teach them this crap. I must get them out, before the blood bomb goes off in their hands, too.

Right now, a grandchild and a neice, both with young JW parents are facing possible blood transfusions. Already, the Elders are meddling in their lives -- and posibly their deaths.

It seems to never end.

Rabbit

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Although I support freedom of rights, I do believe a hospital should take the child off the parents and transfuse blood when necessary to sustain life. This is because JWs have been deceived in the following areas:

• The Watchtower blood doctrine is unscriptural
    • The Watchtower publications misrepresent the truth about blood transfusions (as shown by Kerry Lounderbach)
    • Current Watchtower doctrine is contradictory in that it allows transfusing certain blood fractions even though it claims storing blood is wrong and forbids a JW from donating blood

It is unfair for JW children to get caught up in the manipulative mess of the current Watchtower blood policy

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Although I support freedom of rights, I do believe a hospital should take the child off the parents and transfuse blood when necessary to sustain life. This is because JWs have been deceived in the following areas:

• The Watchtower blood doctrine is unscriptural
    • The Watchtower publications misrepresent the truth about blood transfusions (as shown by Kerry Lounderbach)
    • Current Watchtower doctrine is contradictory in that it allows transfusing certain blood fractions even though it claims storing blood is wrong and forbids a JW from donating blood

It is unfair for JW children to get caught up in the manipulative mess of the current Watchtower blood policy

• Balsam
    Balsam

This is a good thing when laws protect the children from their parents religious belief's concerning medical treatment. It is a practice here in North Carolina in the USA too. But if the child is a teenager and refused blood they will not give it to them. The child speaks out of ignorance sadly.

• M.J.
    M.J.

You know the ironic thing is that the witness parents are so relieved when the decision is taken out of their hands by the state.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit