WTS account for Britain (2005)

by dozy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

Dozy - This congregation is seriously 'Piss poor' and has to be helped to pay its literature bill. Why would it donate tens of thousands to the WT?

• greendawn
    greendawn

Just like everyone else they cook the books, they are keen to hold on to as much money as they can as we saw from the Swaggart case, I mean the man is part of Babylon (as they see it) yet they went to "bed" with him. Any R&F doing that would get kicked out in no time at all. Even something as profoundly Christian as wearing a cross is taboo because it's a "Babylonian" symbol.

• dozy
    dozy
    This congregation is seriously 'Piss poor' and has to be helped to pay its literature bill. Why would it donate tens of thousands to the WT?

My money would be on a typo then - a figure of 4647 instead of 46476.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

why are there only a few congs on the list of charities??

Shouldnt they all be on there..?

• Gill
    Gill

I remember the Leicester Aylestone congregation, having their accounts servant removed from office for a few years because he had been steadling and fiddling the books to support his own failing business. This was never reported to the Police and he was removed down to rank of R and F, instead of Super Elder that he was. Same bloke ended up having an affair with three women, all at the same time over thirty years before he was caught out.

Do you think that much of these figures are true and real?

How much fraud do you think might really be taking place?

I suspect far more than we ever get to hear about and any that does is just 'covered up'.

• Alpheta
    Alpheta

Dozy, when will the annual 2006 report be available? I see the 2005 report ended August 31, 2005. Is there a certain time period, say 90 days after close of fiscal year - for filing the 2006 report - which would presumably have also ended on August 31, 2006? It would be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison of figures for 2004, 2005 and 2006.

Am I correct in assuming that this report is ONLY for all congregations in "England", and do not include those in Wales, Scotland and Ireland???

By the way, the (Pounds British Sterling) 46,000 or so expenditure for that one congregation seems hinky to me. Could they have been divesting themselves of excess cash in anticipation of the partnership with the other congregation??? Too many unknowns here and so it's impossible to draw any solid conclusions - and I'm sure no accountant in any event!

Finally, I have to say I was absolutely shocked and amazed about the discussion concerning this (Pounds British Sterling) 46,000 or so contribution - from ONE congregation? Wow! I used to be part of a congregation in southeastern Wisconsin (USA) that was considered relatively "well-off" and our account balance from month to month was never more than US $3,000. So how could that English congregation have so much money????

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I know of a case in Scotland where a MS was stealing the money too. I wonder how widespread this is?

Another reason not to contribute to the world wide work - as if we needed another reason.

Slim

• Gill
    Gill

Slimboyfat - Yes, when you hear of more cases you do start to wonder how prevalent it really is and how would anyone get to find out unless regular checks were made on the contributions.

Have the bOrg imposed checks to make sure no one can run of with contributions? How come these thefts, which I understand can be quite large, as the one I spoke of before was not far off supporting his small business shortfall, but are they ever reported to the authorities?

• aniron
    aniron

Dozy

Thanks for all the information.

Not being one who can read such accounts easily, all those figures!!

So what are the assets of the WTBS and IBSA in plain language. What are they worth? Income? Expenditure?

I notice that "Distress Relief" doesn't feature all that much.

• Gilberto
    Gilberto

When I started on the accounts as the assistant I suspected the accounts servant to be "borowing" the contributions.

This was easy if, after counting the boxes, he kept both copies of the receipt. Or when given money from the groups they gave him both copies, which all but one group did. So the only record of any money was with that accounts servant.

The way it should be done was that the accounts servant would keep the one copy and the person verifying, (there should always be 2 people counting) would hand the second copy to the Secretary. The 3 monthly audit would then be caried out matching the receipts the secretary and accounts servant had.

I told the secretary my suspicions and why, and he was taken off the accounts. He was incompetent and should never have been doing the accounts anyway. The books never balanced, he couldn't add up things were a mess. I became the accounts and made sure I carried out everything by the book.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit