September 2006 KM Quote 1893 Zion's Watch Tower

by rassillon 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• rassillon
    rassillon

The article "Witnessing From House to House", on page 8, in the first paragraph it quotes the July 1, 1893 Zions Watch Tower as follows

"Those experienced in the various ways of spreading the Truth will agree that the house to house canvass with MILLENIAL DAWN is, in the present time, by far the most effective way of preaching the Truth."

I have bought the CDs of reprint scans. I have searched, printed and read the July 1, 1893 ZWT. I have been unable to locate this quote.

Can someone confirm if this is a screw-up or if I am loosing my mind. I know this is minor but I would like to know.

Thanks in advance.

-r

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The Reprints are edited -- leaving out the title page of each issue and duplicate articles as well. The piece in question, "Harvest Work Before the Storm" by S. D. Rodgers, appears to have been on the title page (p. 194), and thus does not appear in WT Reprints.

• yesidid
    yesidid

Yes it's there I have included some of the context. I wonder why they didn't include those little gems.

Some may be inclined to think that the harvest work is largely done; but probably the larger portion of this work is to be done in the coming six or eight years. "Pray the Lord of the harvest to send forth more laborers into his vineyard," and seek earnestly to be among them. True, a great work is being done. The books, the papers and the tracts sent out from the WATCH TOWER office are doing their part; but they need "living epistles" everywhere to introduce them to the people. Quite a number of colporteurs are now in the field, and others of the "wise" are working in various ways; but still as the fields ripen more laborers are needed.

Another thought: Every practical tiller of the soil knows that just before a storm is an excellent time to sow certain kinds of seed, such as clover and timothy, which the storm will serve to wash down into the soil. Likewise, the precious seeds of truth, which may now be sown "broadcast" over the land, will, no doubt, by the storm that is coming, be settled down into the hearts of many; and after the storm is over will yield an abundant crop.

Those experienced in the various ways of spreading the Truth will agree that the house to house canvass with MILLENNIAL DAWN is, in the present time, by far the most effective way of preaching the Truth. There are several reasons for this conclusion: (1) Babylon has preached the world "to death" with false doctrine. (2) Some of the people do not want to go outside of the churches, for fear they might hear more of the same kind of doctrine they are used to hearing inside. (3) Some do not know much about the truth, and are afraid. And some of the sincere and honest are inclined to think (rightfully) that there is not much Gospel preached by public speaking now-a-days. (4) Earnest truth-seekers are nearly always earnest readers, and though they may not have much confidence in ordinary books, they will keep on reading, hoping to find the Truth (God's plan) which will "satisfy their longings as nothing else can do." (5) A good colporteur can put into the hands of the people from five to six thousand volumes of DAWN in a year; and they will keep on preaching after he has gone to other fields. One with even a little talent for the work ought to dispose of three thousand volumes a year.

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

I found the earlier and follow-up paragraphs most interesting (also, note how not everyone is expected to go door-to-door):

HARVEST WORK BEFORE THE STORM.----------

As the Lord is pleased to use the members of his body who are yet in the flesh to be his "reapers" and "messengers," it would seem that each one should be inspired with zeal, tempered with wisdom, to see that his part in this great work is faithfully done. All who are awake are beginning to recognize the harvest time--the "end of the age"--and to rejoice in the privilege of harvest work now under way. But all such have heard also "a consumption, even determined in the midst of the whole land." (`Isa. 28:22`.) Louder peals the thunder and darker grow the clouds. A great storm is near at hand. Though one may not know exactly when it will break forth, it seems reasonable to suppose that it cannot be more than twelve or fourteen years yet future. As the harvesters in the natural field often find it necessary to withdraw, as the clouds get very dark and the winds blow, so the reapers in this harvest may by and by be compelled to cease their active service.

Some may be inclined to think that the harvest work is largely done; but probably the larger portion of this work is to be done in the coming six or eight years. "Pray the Lord of the harvest to send forth more laborers into his vineyard," and seek earnestly to be among them. True, a great work is being done. The books, the papers and the tracts sent out from the WATCH TOWER office are doing their part; but they need "living epistles" everywhere to introduce them to the people. Quite a number of colporteurs are now in the field, and others of the "wise" are working in various ways; but still as the fields ripen more laborers are needed.

Another thought: Every practical tiller of the soil knows that just before a storm is an excellent time to sow certain kinds of seed, such as clover and timothy, which the storm will serve to wash down into the soil. Likewise, the precious seeds of truth, which may now be sown "broadcast" over the land, will, no doubt, by the storm that is coming, be settled down into the hearts of many; and after the storm is over will yield an abundant crop.

Those experienced in the various ways of spreading the Truth will agree that the house to house canvass with MILLENNIAL DAWN is, in the present time, by far the most effective way of preaching the Truth. There are several reasons for this conclusion: (1) Babylon has preached the world "to death" with false doctrine. (2) Some of the people do not want to go outside of the churches, for fear they might hear more of the same kind of doctrine they are used to hearing inside. (3) Some do not know much about the truth, and are afraid. And some of the sincere and honest are inclined to think (rightfully) that there is not much Gospel preached by public speaking now-a-days. (4) Earnest truth-seekers are nearly always earnest readers, and though they may not have much confidence in ordinary books, they will keep on reading, hoping to find the Truth (God's plan) which will "satisfy their longings as nothing else can do." (5) A good colporteur can put into the hands of the people from five to six thousand volumes of DAWN in a year; and they will keep on preaching after he has gone to other fields. One with even a little talent for the work ought to dispose of three thousand volumes a year.

In view of all these things may we not reasonably hope that inside of three years there will be at least ten times as many of the brethren and sisters out as actual colporteurs as there now are? Then let every one that is fully consecrated to the Lord see what he can do. Some can go themselves, and some can help others to go. But let all who can, by any reasonable sacrifice, seek to enter this harvest work.

What if we do encounter some hardships! However, let no one think that it is a continual burden to be out in this work. The Master said, "My yoke is easy, and my burden is light: and this is true in whatever capacity we serve him.

Dear brethren and sisters, let us all remember the words of the wise: "In the morning sow thy seed, and in the evening withhold not thy hand; for thou knowest not which shall prosper, this or that, or whether they both shall be alike good." (`Eccl. 11:6`.) Thus we may each have the blessed assurance that we have done what we could to advance the interests of our Redeemer's Kingdom. S. D. ROGERS.
  • grey matters
    grey matters

Good call Ingenuous. The first thing I thought when I saw this thread was why on earth would they do this? Doesn't this just open up a can of worms for them? I think this has been posted before, but the magazines from the late 1800's can be found here:

http://www.ctrussell.us/

The JW's are not the only ones with access to Russell's writings. There are still other groups who look to him as their founder. Here is a group in Seattle, as an example, called the North Seattle Bible Students. They have "Studies in the Scriptures" online:

http://www.nsbible.org/

• garybuss
    garybuss

I have a hard copy of the Watch Tower reprints and I read July 1 and 15th 1893 and I can't find the quote. I also have the scanned copies and I searched the 1879 to 1899 CD for "house to house" and the quote didn't come up on my search.

That's my best shot.

• VM44
    VM44

This is a great find! The Watchtower even SELECTIVELY QUOTES from its own past issues! Anything to get the current propaganda to the people! --VM44

• rassillon
    rassillon

You guys (and girls) are awesome!

Thanks so much!

I think they should re-word the quote to something like this.

"Those who were witnessing from house to house over a 110 years ago when things were very different, before planes, most autos, the internet, tv, radio, and just about anything else you take for granted, Oh yeah, and by the way they are all dead now. Well anyway they think that house to house distribution of liturature is the best way of spreading our own brand of Truth. Although we don't charge for liturature and you don't get a cut anymore."

-r

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

"IT is REASONABLE to SUPPOSE" (expectorate, look forward to ) pick your word, meaning we'll tell you what to look forward to.

If it don't happen it's your fault for entertaining false expectations.

They have not changed in 100 years have they?

HB

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

Gary - I actually found this @ the end of the of the June 15, 1893 ZWT - R1546; page 194 - Maybe it was on the back of that Watch Tower?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit