Hospital ordered to give Jehovah's Witness transfusion

by Gilberto 18 Replies latest watchtower medical

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    he must err on the side of preserving life.

what a strange decision to even have to think of making.\

purps

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

I think the salient point here is that the action was taken in the best interest of the CHILD.

Well done, Eire, I say!

And can we assume that because neither the blood transfusion team, the judges or the mother were struck down by lightning or turned into a pillar of salt by the OT Jehovah the WTBTS loves to promulgate, then either Jehovah gave the transfusion his implied blessing or it wasn't important enough for him to worry about?

I'll bet this story doesn't make it into a WTBTS magazine (unless, of course, at some future time someone involved gets run down crossing the road, when it will be presented as evidence of Jehovah's [delayed] judgement).

A cynic speaks.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Do the Irish have the equivalent of UK sectioning under the Mental Health Act?

As far as I know, if you're sectioned they can administer any medical treatment necessary to preserve your life.

• jgnat
    jgnat

What Joe Grundy said.

I think the salient point here is that the action was taken in the best interest of the CHILD.

In some of the ethical literature I've read, parents can be prevented from permanent harm if that decision would affect a child who cannot speak for themselves. The court assumes, on behalf of the child, that it would prefer it has his mother.

• Gilberto
    Gilberto
    if you're sectioned they can administer any medical treatment necessary to preserve your life.
    People with serious mental illness (or at the very least in a possibly unstable condition) are vulnerable to receiving inadequate medical care.

She was not mentally ill.

The Ms K case is understood to be one of the first of a compos mentis adult refusing a transfusion to come before the Irish courts.
  • Gilberto
    Gilberto
    I'll bet this story doesn't make it into a WTBTS magazine (unless, of course, at some future time someone involved gets run down crossing the road, when it will be presented as evidence of Jehovah's [delayed] judgement).

No but maybe will be included to show how JWs are persecuted.

This also got me thinking, will JWs be sad/angry/happy to hear of this story? This could be an interesting point to bring up with any active ones.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    She was not mentally ill.

Sadly, I suspect, not always a prerequisite for sectioning. All they have to do is 'prove' to the authorities that, in their opinion, you aren't making a rational, informed decision on treatment which may in turn endanger your (and/or in this case another's) life. So in a warped kind of way (donning kevlar suit!) it sometimes is a breach of human/religious/whatever rights.

This is how they get around the issue of force feeding people who go on hunger strike for example.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Too many people have been sacrificed due to this insane and extremist policy of the WTS, what is this some kind of satanism in disguise?

• isthisit
    isthisit

it is all over the media here (in ireland)....to be honest what i find most disturbing is that the judge went above his constitutional duty to protect the law...what he in essence did was create a new law...it was a precedence setting decision that as a citizen i don't agree with. we have freedom to choose treatment for ourselves, she freely chose to submit to the wtbs's teaching, according to the newspapers she was wavering... What this means is that technically, until clarified by the supreme court, the state can override personal decision. "Bunracht na hEireann" (our constitution) has nothing within that justifies what the court did.She was in essence subject to assault, albeit court subjected. The court gave leave to subdue her if neccessary, once again the courts go above and beyond their call of duty.......... ,,,,,,,,,,another strange thing is that the HLC had no idea that she was in hospital, she did not in any of her hospital visits declare she was a witness, and the spokesman on talk radio today said "if she is a witness". The french group in Dublin is very close-knit. All i can say is, i'm glad the kid is ok, the mother is ok, i am however disappointed as a citizen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit