What were the best Watchtower years?

by JH 25 Replies latest jw friends

• proplog2
    proplog2

TD

I agree with you. The biggest increases were in the early 1950's. The "generation" of 1914 was still young enough to lead. The nuclear age had just begun. There was a clear King of the North & King of the South. The large 8-day Assemblies were "real" movements and solidifying experiences. The decision to get baptized was spontaneous and heartfelt NOT contrived and subject to a tribunal. The world itself was almost as authoritarian as the Watchtower. The speakers at assemblies had freedom to express themselves creatively - so they were less boring.

People were rarely disfellowshipped. You could speculate all you wanted without anyone accusing you of apostacy. The blood doctrine was vague. You could neck and pet on unchapperoned dates without being brought before the judges. Congregations could have competitive baseball games and big congregation picnics. No one was disfellowshipped for smoking. There were basement parties for teens about once a week in the big metro areas.

Almost all young men were pioneers to avoid the draft. Young men could have serious teaching positions in the congregation at the age of 14. This was important to me because it kept me busy in a creative way.

It all started to fall apart in 1966 with the setting of the 1975 date. Every year the organization kept tightening the noose. When the 1970's started the organization became obsessed with cleaning up before they entered the "promised land/ New Order". They thought the end was near so they broadened the definition of fornication to include petting and necking. They felt they had to be free of those dirty filthy smokers. The final step was to create "elders" who could govern the congregations. These were men that were previously side-lined because they were horrible speakers but now they could share in "shepherding" bossing and policing everyone.

The organization is a jet airplane with both the pilot and co-pilot dead of food poisoning.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Just from a pragmatic view the growth of the Society in the last 50 years is pretty impressive. I'd like to own the business that had those numbers.

1955 peak publishers 642,929
    2005 peak publishers 6,613,829Net increase 5,970,900
    Average increase per year 119,418
    Average yearly growth 4.67%

I mighta figured that percentage wrong. Can somebody who knows how to do math check my figure?

I'd love to have a business that went from a half million employees 50 years ago to six and a half million employees now.

• uninformed
    uninformed

Garybuss,

That is a damned depressing way of putting it! Makes them look pretty successful.

I feel that the mid to late 50's to 1975 was probably the heyday for the same reasons as Mulan and TD and others have stated.

I do know that in 1995 with the 'generation' unplugged to 1914 was the beginning of my decline, although in truth, I started losing faith in the organization in the early 80's.

Brant

oops.
  • garybuss
    garybuss

Interesting sidebar . . . Knorr called the publishers "working ministers" in the 1957 yearbook page 35. I relate to that "working" word. 1957 was the year I was baptized as a 12 year old.

Just looking at the numbers and charts, it was the 1975 date promotion campaign that got the Society into the real growth curve. Knorr did it. They accidently found out that they had better growth and better retention when they got tight with the rules and the shunning practice. That's why those policies have stayed.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

50's.

The leadership in the congos resided with men and women who had personally responded to the message of 'the New World' and consciously chosen to be witnesses, not just born into it. They had made waves with their preaching and conscientious objection - young men had gone to prison and their young wives had waited for them. JWs were unified by their common experiences - like survivors of a shipwreck. These were the people who were making a contribution to shaping the development of the post-war JW lifestyle. There was an urgency and an excitement when the information from Brooklyn was fresh and new. Service as a pioneer, a Bethelite, or a Gilead student was romanticized and the young were swept up in the adventure of it all.

The "Good News" began to get shopworn, repetitive and dull by the early 70's. 'A promise delayed is making the heart sick' or something like that. Even 1975 was limited in the power to stir up the juices again. And the year closed with a resounding thud. Downhill ever since and picking up speed.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Gotta go with the 50s and 60s for reasons already stated...the high days of the wt, never to be repeated...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit