A funny comparison

by Dawn 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Dawn
    Dawn

Ok, I thought the comparison of these two videos back to back was hillarious so I have to share this with you all and get your thoughts

Video #1: Singing at a JW Assembly - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-vXlqe3-Sg (and don't forget to check out the comments below the video!)

Video #2: Singing at a small church somewhere: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9094243614884928480&q=gospel+singing&hl=en

Ok - now that you watched them, share your opinions !

• AgentSmith
    AgentSmith

Yes. That is how I remember the singing in the KH. No joy. Just mumble along. The second clip is how it should be, enjoying your worship! That is a bit over the top for me, but then again, I am a conservative dude.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I could only stomach half the first one, it's such a dirge. How anyone can describe that as beautiful, as one comment did, is beyond me. They must have no appreciation of real music at all.

On the second one, they at least looked as if they were enjoying themselves.

• bebu
    bebu

I've attended churches which had more liturgical songs like the KH video. It seemed to me though, that people were quite distracted throughout, esp the people in front of the camera. Lackluster singing, anyway, at least in the area which was being video'd. (It would be a stretch to call it 'beautiful', as the comments said.) In such a congregation, I would be wishing for joy to be apparent. It felt a bit like a funeral, as mentioned earlier.

The other video seems to have been from a French village (I think Rennes is in France). (Surprised to see a gospel service like that there.) Worship can be a lot of things, and for some people it is important to express it kinetically. IMO, if they were authentic about worship, that is what probably matters most. In such a congregation, I would be constantly checking whether I was reacting because of emotions or because of real conviction.

If I went to a great band concert, I'd naturally be moving around if I like the music; doesn't matter if it's secular or Christian. Good music of any sort can coax that response from people; it's powerful! And obviously, there are different strokes for different folks.

bebu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit