Self assembly chairs & evolution

by suavojr 10 Replies latest jw friends

• suavojr
    suavojr

I'm no expert and do not claim to be in regards to how evolution works but this small test did make think how all things are related and have evolved from one common ancestor. The horrible example that I grew up hearing about a watch not being able to assemble itself or plane after a tornado, etc... Dawkins would say, "well of course not" but MIT seems to be on the path to make us think twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnj1sPfo4Ek

• suavojr
    suavojr

Here is the explanation from https://www.yahoo.com/tech/this-self-assembling-chair-from-mit-may-be-the-111860644734.html

It works like this: Researchers plopped six separate objects into a tub of water. Inside each of these objects is one or more specially designed magnets, installed at key connection points. Each magnet is made to be attracted to only its perfect match, so there’s no chance that the chair will accidentally put itself together upside down.

Think of it like Saturday night at your local bar. As the water in the tank tosses the pieces around, they bump together until each connection point is eventually united with its intended partner. Of course, both the construction of each piece and the environment it is placed in have a huge effect on the process. Researchers must consider the size, weight, and construction of each block, not to mention the turbulent force and volume of water in the tank that the whole bundle is placed in.

• suavojr
    suavojr
    It is interesting to note it takes 7 hours for this experiment to work, I wonder what genes can do in billions of years?
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne

I think it does nothing to prove evolution; if anything, it would make a case for intelligent design. But in the end, I think any analogy with how life came to be isn't suitable.

Eden

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Eden one. It certainly is not proof of evolution, but it is proof of concept. The magnets are the key. In nature, biological system do undergo certain random mutations. Imagine that you throw another variable to the above experiment, where the magnets would change shapes randomly. At some point, two pieces would have a chance of having the right fit and they will unite. In this case we are putting together a chair. If a leg happens to mutate on a magnet that fits the arm rest, then the chair is useless. In nature, natural selection would take care of eliminating this useless chair. Eventually, one will form that will fit the environment and survive.

The environment plays a huge roll, probably as big as genetic mutations if not bigger. Here is an example. Studies in the south parts of the US has shown that rattle snakes are developing this rare mutation. One where the rattlers are not good and they don't make any noise. The snakes with this mutation are surviving and reproducing, while the population of healthy snakes is declining. Biologists have determined that the mutation itself is only physical, it poses no health risks for the snake (no diseases or anything that would kill it naturally). After some time. they determined that those healthy snakes are always able to warn bystanders of their presence, which ends up with the human killing the snake, while the one with the mutation is not able to warn anyone of its presence, therefore surviving the human threat. It then goes on to reproduce, carrying the mutated gene forward.

Let there be light..

• suavojr
    suavojr

Thank you startrekangel for helping express what I am just learning.

Edenone can get some help with this video.

http://youtu.be/lIEoO5KdPvg

• suavojr
    suavojr

I knew I was on to something, I just found this video talking about self-assembling moluces and the origin of life.

http://youtu.be/fgQLyqWaCbA

• Perry
    Perry
    Inside each of these objects is one or more specially designed magnets, installed at key connection points. Each magnet is made to be attracted to only its perfect match, so there’s no chance that the chair will accidentally put itself together upside down.

design comes from intelligence

life comes from life

anything can come from you tube

On a more practical note: I'm waiting for those MIT boys to make CO2 cartriges that will assemble a chair made in China with just the pull of a string!

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    Cool concept. But this is a very - very - poor analog for evolution. Evolution doesn't have an "endgame."
  • suavojr
    suavojr

That is true coded, I guess that's the true miracle of evolution. Just having some fun trying to catch up with the education I should've had while growing up. I'm just in 1st grade but it is fun to learn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit